And we're back!

Main Menu

What should I do next week?

Started by alfred russel, November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2014, 04:52:49 PM
This seems to be helpful :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c170832/London:United-Kingdom:Between.Flights.At.Heathrow.html

From what they say it depends on whether your flight is on time/early and how lucky you are with immigration.

Thanks RH. Actually though, the run is more important to me than seeing the castle. Nothing I've seen contemplates someone trying to do that.

I'm not going to hold you accountable if something goes wrong.  :) But just in your general experience leaving heathrow, do you think a pedestrian can get off the grounds and over to Windsor?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

I've avoided Heathrow for some years, so any information may be wildly out of date.

Windsor is apparently 12 miles from Heathrow, so if you can run there and back during your layover I reckon you should be in the next US olympics team  :)

If I were you I'd be tempted to get the Heathrow express to Paddington station, 20 mins or so IIRC, from there you go south a couple of hundred yards and then you can have a run in Hyde Park. You can tie that in with a bit of sightseeing, see Green Park, Buckingham Palace and so on, maybe Westminster Palace too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Paddington,+London+W2/@51.5055696,-0.1621542,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48760552b7757447:0xa252c3f55901004

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2014, 05:15:52 PM
I've avoided Heathrow for some years, so any information may be wildly out of date.

Windsor is apparently 12 miles from Heathrow, so if you can run there and back during your layover I reckon you should be in the next US olympics team  :)

If I were you I'd be tempted to get the Heathrow express to Paddington station, 20 mins or so IIRC, from there you go south a couple of hundred yards and then you can have a run in Hyde Park. You can tie that in with a bit of sightseeing, see Green Park, Buckingham Palace and so on, maybe Westminster Palace too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Paddington,+London+W2/@51.5055696,-0.1621542,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48760552b7757447:0xa252c3f55901004

That's a good idea, plus if you're really pushed for time and only get to run around bits of Hyde park, right in the SE corner of the park is The Duke of Wellington's house at Hyde Park Corner, I think its address is Number 1, London. It sits at the end of rotten row.

It has quite a bit of Napoleonic memorabilia and open normal hours. Also the Wellington monument is just over the road in the traffic isle and it afford a good view of that area, plus is an easy tick-box thing to do. 

House here:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/apsley-house/

Wellington Arch:
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/wellington-arch/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2014, 05:15:52 PM

Interesting...my flight is into terminal 5 which is the closest to windsor castle...could that be the difference? Or maybe it is that the walking distance is less than driving?

Or maybe google maps is leading me astray.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Those are good ideas.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Richard Hakluyt

It does look closer on the map  :hmm:

Anyway, have a good trip  :cool:

Ed Anger

I feel sorry for the folks on the plane that is going to have to smell Dorsey after his run.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

They're foreigners. He'll just blend in.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2014, 07:48:04 PM
That is why I want my own jet.

How about a yacht?  Just cruise everywhere.  The kids can be the deckhands.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 06, 2014, 02:55:18 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2014, 07:48:04 PM
That is why I want my own jet.

How about a yacht?  Just cruise everywhere.  The kids can be the deckhands.

Daddy went swimming, but he never came back.

Ed Anger

It isn't a Klingon Battlecruiser.

CountDeMoney

LOCAL FATHER SET ADRIFT WITH BREADFRUIT, FILM AT 11

Ed Anger

Those meddling kids will get theirs.

alfred russel

Sitting in heathrow. Going to windsor castle was a dumb idea. The flight was 40 minutes late getting in which obviously wouldnt help, but by the time i changed into running clothes and washed up from the flight and got through security, it was just over 4 hours before my fight left. Factor in an hour to run there, an hour to run back, and that is all the the time i had. Assuming it was my 6.5 miles and not rh,s 12.

Adding to that it costs 24 quid to get in, and i really dont have any interest to see the castle.

Speaking of prices, 5 quid to put my backpack in a locker for up to 2 hours, 10 if more (and even more if for a period longer than a half day). 33 quid if i took mongers suggestion for a run in hyde park.

You get two free stops on buses from heathrow, so i did that and ran wherever 2 stops on the bus got me amongst the minority communities stuck living near heathrow. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2014, 06:39:19 PM
I feel sorry for the folks on the plane that is going to have to smell Dorsey after his run.  :(

I have clean clothes, and i brought deodorant for this, but yeah. I have some of those white streak sweat stains, and ive tried to clean up, but there arent paper towels in the bathroom (all the blow dry things).