News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What should I do next week?

Started by alfred russel, November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Mono's typical lunch: bag of chips and half a flat soda, stolen from another table in the mall food court.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2014, 04:07:36 PM
Mono's typical lunch: bag of chips and half a flat soda, stolen from another table in the mall food court.

There are people in HK who go after the leftovers in food courts.

Ideologue

Nice passive voice. :P

Hey, man, it saves money!  I get it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Maladict

Mountains and history... perhaps Armenia/Georgia, or Ethiopia?

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 30, 2014, 04:48:54 PM
That's not passive voice...

You're right.  I forget the name of that grammatical construction.  Anyway, you take the point.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

I basically spent all day on line trying to figure this out. Thanks for those that offered suggestions. :)

Thailand (Ide's suggestion): as I said, only would do with someone else. I can't fly to Bangkok as a lone single guy and credibly claim to be going for the cultural attractions.  Everyone missed an epic week in Bangkok by not signing up to go with me. :)

Morocco (Sav, Sheilbh, and others discussed): I want to go to Morocco, I just think I need more than a week.  The number 1 think I want to do in Morocco is to climb Toubkal, and December is the wrong month. Next year I'm planning on a week in Europe with my cousins, maybe I'll take a week+ to head to Morocco then.

Colombia (Yi, Zanza, and especially Tonitrus): I almost did this and wrote to some of the tour guides for Toni's hike. I might do that someday. What pushed me against it is last minute flights right now to Colombia are expensive—with the tour cost almost as much as to Tel Aviv. Also, the hike didn't seem too aggressive, and I've sort of had my fill of pre Colombian ruins. But it is an idea for later and I might do it at some point. This was the runner up.

Aruba (CC): I know a lot of people like relaxing on the beach, but I don't know if that is for me.

Armenia / Georgia & Ethiopia (Maladict): I think these are good ideas, but probably not for a week vacation based on where I am. Certainly Ethiopia is too far away, and it is probably the wrong time of the year for Armenia / Georgia. Also, I leave in 5 days, and I know very little about Armenia and Georgia. Where to go what to see? I don't know. Ethiopia is on my to do list though, but I think I need 2 weeks. I was in Addis Ababa for a day last year, and the day was interesting and eventful. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2014, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 08:03:07 PM
I'm getting off the week after next. I can't move it. I want to do something, but have zero plans.

Find someone who looks like you, stalk him, kill him, and assume his identity.

I did that like, twice.  No good.  Turns out both of them were crazy people who lived in a basement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

Most of Europe isn't cold yet, you know. 10C/50F in London today. Go to Scotland and hike along Hadrian's Wall.

alfred russel

Crap, I just realized I didn't post what I actually booked last night, just what I wasn't doing.  :blush:

I leave for Tel Aviv on Friday.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Viking

I suggest the Appalachian trail... so, eh, Patagonia.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on December 01, 2014, 11:31:05 AM
I suggest the Appalachian trail... so, eh, Patagonia.

I was trying to get to Patagonia, but the flights are obnoxiously expensive/unavailable.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2014, 11:30:11 AM
Crap, I just realized I didn't post what I actually booked last night, just what I wasn't doing.  :blush:

Cool.

What are your plans for Israel?  Last I heard the country wasn't exactly known for having a lot of mountains... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2014, 12:09:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2014, 11:30:11 AM

Cool.

What are your plans for Israel?  Last I heard the country wasn't exactly known for having a lot of mountains... :hmm:

I have no idea. Limiting myself to places that are warmish right now, I haven't been, have affordable flights from Atlanta, and would make for a memorable experience, I went with Israel.

Eddie Teach

Will you pray at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre? :pope:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?