News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Labor Pains Megathread

Started by Tamas, November 26, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Forcing people to work every weekend as if they were normal days is horrible.
Wages should be higher (used to do time and a half years ago....no longer) and at least one weekend per month allowed off.
But outright banning shops opening Sunday is madness
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2014, 05:53:47 PM
Buses are for plebs.  :glare:
Driving is for plebs. And the very rich . Not normal folks.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2014, 06:04:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 05:55:10 PM

1) Take your classist BS and shove it.

2) Bus drivers, and train drivers, are plebs.

We are all plebs.  :P

Yes, you people are. Smelly plebs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2014, 06:30:02 PM
Wages should be higher (used to do time and a half years ago....no longer) and at least one weekend per month allowed off.

Assuming you are not religious, in the long run what's the difference if you work every Saturday and Sunday but get Monday and Tuesday off? Many employees, especially younger ones, actually prefer such a set up.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2014, 10:53:43 PM
Jacob, you've completely lost me.
:lol:

It's funny especially because, watching from the sidelines, I have been following Jacob's argument from the beginning to an end and at no time I thought I would have done it better. His line of reasoning is crystal clear and, moreover, there is nothing in it that is especially novel or unheard of.

I don't want to be a dick, but sometimes you make me wonder whether you are trolling or there is some cognitive deficiency going on (whether psychological or otherwise).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2014, 06:31:30 PM
Driving is for plebs. And the very . Not normal folks.

I'm rather skeptical that poor folk in Britain are better able to handle the costs of car ownership than the bourgeoisie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2014, 01:51:23 AM
It's funny especially because, watching from the sidelines, I have been following Jacob's argument from the beginning to an end and at no time I thought I would have done it better. His line of reasoning is crystal clear and, moreover, there is nothing in it that is especially novel or unheard of.

I don't want to be a dick, but sometimes you make me wonder whether you are trolling or there is some cognitive deficiency going on (whether psychological or otherwise).

Then be so kind as to explain it to me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2014, 01:45:42 AM
Assuming you are not religious, in the long run what's the difference if you work every Saturday and Sunday but get Monday and Tuesday off? Many employees, especially younger ones, actually prefer such a set up.

Hell, as long as it wasn't football season, I loved having weekdays off.  Can get shit done like shopping without all the crowds, and if there are appointments, you can make them without missing time during the week.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2014, 01:45:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

Especially the young?
They are the ones for whom.it is especially bad.
I worked weekends for several months. It was horrible. Weekends are when most people have their time off and everything is happening. Working weekends ruined my life.
Having days off during the week doesnt feel like a real break. Theres nothing to do but sit at home since most people wait until the weekend to do stuff.

QuoteI'm rather skeptical that poor folk in Britain are better able to handle the costs of car ownership than the bourgeoisie
Its nothing to do with ability to afford a car. Its more aboit the cost of accomodation.
The poor have no choice but to live in the arse end of nowhere and drive if they want to go anywhere.
If you have a decent amount of money though then you can afford to live somewhere with decent rail links, or if youre very lucky/wealthy, somewhere you can walk or bike to work and the city centre.
The rich also like to live in nice places in the countryside or, if they live in cities, they dont care about having a frivelous and unneeded toy.

People in the middle usually are able to afford a car without it damaging their finances too much. But in the 21st century if you can avoid that hastle then all the better.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2014, 01:56:12 AM

Explain what to you?

Admiral Yi

Jacob's argument from beginning to end.  The crystal clear one.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2014, 02:22:22 AM
Jacob's argument from beginning to end.  The crystal clear one.

You must be kidding me?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2014, 02:06:33 AM
Its nothing to do with ability to afford a car. Its more aboit the cost of accomodation.
The poor have no choice but to live in the arse end of nowhere and drive if they want to go anywhere.
If you have a decent amount of money though then you can afford to live somewhere with decent rail links, or if youre very lucky/wealthy, somewhere you can walk or bike to work and the city centre.
The rich also like to live in nice places in the countryside or, if they live in cities, they dont care about having a frivelous and unneeded toy.

People in the middle usually are able to afford a car without it damaging their finances too much. But in the 21st century if you can avoid that hastle then all the better.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/243957/nts2012-01.pdf
If you scroll down to page 18, there's a chart showing average distance traveled per year and the method used. Each quintile travels more miles by car in a year than the ones below it. Also, each travels far more miles by car than by the other methods of transportation combined.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2014, 01:56:12 AM

Done.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017