House GOP not waiting until January; War on Science and the EPA begins now

Started by CountDeMoney, November 24, 2014, 07:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteNovember 18, 2014, 06:18 pm
House passes bill to reform EPA science panel
By Cristina Marcos
The Hill

The House on Tuesday passed legislation to overhaul the Environmental Protection Agency's Scientific Advisory Board.

Passed 229-191, the measure, H.R. 1422, would change the process of selecting members of the Scientific Advisory Board and the terms of office.

Among other provisions, the measure would require the Scientific Advisory Board, which consults the EPA on its regulations, to have at least ten percent of members from state, local or tribal governments.

The bill is part of the House GOP's package of legislation this week to limit the EPA's ability to issue new regulations. Later this week, the House will vote on bills to require the EPA to make public its scientific data to justify regulations and limit updates to air pollution rules.

Rep. Chris Stewart (R-Utah), the measure's sponsor, said the measure would ensure the board is held accountable.

"There is a process that is broken. And it's through this bill we can not only improve that process, but also restore trust between the American people and the federal government," Stewart said.

Democrats said the measure would hinder the board's effectiveness and compromise its members' scientific expertise.

"While it sounds good to say you are increasing transparency, in reality this simply strengthens the role of special interests' biased interests in the process," said Rep. Rush Holt (D-N.J.).

The White House issued a veto threat on Monday against the bill, saying it would "negatively affect the appointment of experts and would weaken the scientific independence and integrity of the SAB."

QuoteHouse passes bill to limit EPA 'secret science'
By Cristina Marcos
The Hill

The House on Wednesday passed legislation to prevent the Environmental Protection Agency from issuing new regulations unless it provides the scientific data to justify them.

Passage of the measure, H.R. 4012, fell largely along party lines with a vote of 237-190.

The bill is part of the House GOP's package of legislation on the floor this week to limit the EPA's regulatory powers. On Tuesday, the House passed a measure to reform the EPA's Scientific Advisory Board.

Republicans said the measure would enhance transparency at the EPA.

"Costly environmental regulations should only be based on data that is available to independent scientists and the public," said House Science, Space and Technology Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas).

But Democrats said imposing such a requirement could force the EPA to release confidential patient information used in scientific studies, a violation of federal law.

"The legislation will not improve the EPA's actions. Rather, it will stifle public health protections," said Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (Texas), the top Democrat on the committee.

Moreover, Democrats questioned why Republicans were demanding access to scientific data when many deny the existence of climate change.

"The Republicans don't have a lot of credibility when they talk about wanting more science. Because I have seen so many areas where Republicans have tried to ignore the science," said Rep. Henry Waxman (Calif.), the top Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.), the bill's sponsor, said it would establish more responsible policymaking.

"If you're going to make public policy, do it by public data," Schweikert said. "Is there anyone in this body when we all ran for office that did not commit to transparency?"

The White House issued a veto threat against the legislation. In a statement of administration policy, the White House warned the bill would be used to simply mire proposed EPA regulations in legal challenges over "legitimate withholding" of scientific data.

"Instead of an overly broad bill that would tie EPA's hands, the Administration urges Congress to support the Administration's efforts to make scientific and technical information more accessible and regulations more transparent," the White House statement reads.

Before final passage, the House rejected an amendment, 194-230, sponsored by Rep. Joseph Kennedy (D-Mass.) that would allow the EPA to use peer-reviewed scientific publications even if they are based on data prohibited from being made public.

crazy canuck

It seems to be a strategy of all governments to deal with the inconvenient truths of science.

jimmy olsen

I thought about posting about this, but it's going to go no where until next year and the new senate comes in.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
Secret science sure is annoying tho.

Yeah it's a bitch.  Every December you have to go through the ritual of picking a name out of a hat and gift them with a new theorem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 12:00:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
Secret science sure is annoying tho.

Yeah it's a bitch.  Every December you have to go through the ritual of picking a name out of a hat and gift them with a new theorem.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

More Benghazi!  More Fast n' Furious!

QuoteGOP set to strengthen committee chairmen's subpoena power
One Democrat says the move amounts to 'exporting the Issa model.'

POLITICO
By Lauren French, John Bresnahan and Zachary Warmbrodt
Updated 1/13/15 4:11 PM EST

House Republicans are about to give more of their committee leaders the same unilateral subpoena power that former Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa wielded against the Obama administration in his probes into the Internal Revenue Service and "Fast and Furious."

The change means that, in a break from years of tradition, Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.) wouldn't need to consult with his panel's top Democrat before subpoenaing documents or witnesses about issues like Obamacare or the Environmental Protection Agency. The GOP is also proposing similar boosts in authority for Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), whose panel's jurisdiction includes the Dodd-Frank financial regulations law, and for Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), who will oversee any probes into immigration.

Two other panels — Agriculture and Science, Space and Technology — are considering making the same change. And in a similar move, the House passed a rules package last week that gave the energy, science, finance and Ways and Means committees the power to let their counsels hold depositions in private.

Democrats denounce the moves as a power grab, repeating their complaints that Issa (R-Calif.) "abused" his subpoena authority by bombarding the administration with hundreds of demands when he led the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. But Republicans say it's necessary after Obama's agencies stonewalled GOP-led probes into the IRS, the health care law, the Fast and Furious gun-walking program and the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya.

"The Obama administration has employed unprecedented delay tactics and in many cases an outright refusal to comply with legitimate committee oversight requests, which is why committees sought the deposition authority and are using the existing rules to give committee chairs greater latitude in issuing subpoenas," said Doug Andres, a spokesman for the House Rules Committee.

The rule change under consideration for the Judiciary, Financial Services and Energy and Commerce panels would eliminate long-standing requirements that the chairmen either consult or get consent from the minority party before issuing subpoenas for testimony and documents or hold a majority vote. The Judiciary Committee will maintain its requirement to consult, a spokeswoman said.

Democratic staffers accused Republicans of overreaching.

"We think it's ridiculous that the Republican leadership is exporting the Issa model to the rest of the House," a staffer said.

"The Republican playbook is clear: obstruct, distract, subpoena, repeat," Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), said separately. "This change will inevitably [lead] to widespread abuses of power as Republicans infect the other committees with the poisonous process that Issa has so abused during his chairmanship."

The Financial Service Committee will vote on the new rules Tuesday during its first public meeting of the year. Democrats are expected to challenge the proposal, but committee spokesman Jeff Emerson said the change "will facilitate the committee's ability to conduct oversight and to fulfill its oversight duties."

"Hopefully, it will never need to be used because the officials, agencies and entities the committee oversees will be fully accountable, responsive and transparent," Emerson said.

House Republicans have promised aggressive oversight during the next two years. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who assumed the Oversight chairmanship this month after Issa had to give up his gavel because of GOP term limits, has promised a similarly intense investigation of the White House over Fast and Furious and embassy security. The House also reauthorized the select committee investigating Benghazi during its first week.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

If they really believe that, they wouldn't run on impeaching the President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Most of that stuff is bullshit, but I am surprised that Fast and Furious didn't become a bigger scandal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point