News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favourite Childhood Toys

Started by Josephus, November 23, 2014, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2014, 06:55:31 PM
Yeah Matchbox Cars, Superfast etc. Goes without saying I guess. Yes, Mongers, remember those Clankers very well.

None of you were Subbuteo players?

I wanted some, put for some reason never got given them.  :(

I suspect because parents thought they were an insubstantial present, just a green mat with some small plastic figures, ignoring the real play value and skills involved/developed. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

My great-grandfather had started a moving company.  My great uncle managed the company and he had gotten all his grandsons and great nephews a remote controlled moving van for the seventy fifth anniversary of the company, complete with the company logo on it.  I've still got mine.   :)

I had some model rockets; those were a lot of fun.  I had a trick kite that was a pain to get airborne but once up in the air it would do all these spins and loops.

My favorites were Legos; that's pretty common among engineers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadBurgerMaker

Voltron (the cat versions not the shitty Gobot type car garbage or whatever those were), Transformers, GI Joes (the small ones), and Lego were my favorites as a kid.  Oh and Micro Machines.

Neil

I had tons of Transformers, as well as He-Man, Star Wars figures (I had the Millennium Falcon, which was super cool).  I also had two Voltron lions, which was lame if you didn't have all five, but I still thought they were cool.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Lego, by far. Before they had all those ready made parts.

And the old Kenner Star Wars figures.

A friend had rich parents, so he had all Masters of the Universe Figures, and later all Transformers, and Mask. We spent quite some time playing with his Masters otU figures.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Some assholes in this thread played with their own shitty ass diapers.   :glare:

Martinus

Lego by far. First I had "Fabuland", then graduated to the mainstream lines (my favourite line was the medieval one; had tons of that stuff). Never got into Technics though.

Monoriu

Nintendo. I used to play this game day after day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88SENZe6Z3I

Syt

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2014, 12:13:19 AM
Lego, by far. Before they had all those ready made parts.

And the old Kenner Star Wars figures.

I should add, that I inherited a lot of Legos from my sisters. As I mentioned, Legos were a cheap toy when I was a kid. From Star Wars I got what was on sale, and any vehicle was practically out of range. I built space ships out of shoe boxes for them.

Another friend, a bigger Star Wars geek than I, finished the old Kenner collection in the early 90s, before the hype was renewed, and then sold it off for a high 4 digit amount. He's now collecting not for completion, but rather for figures he likes, though he will snatch up any high value item if he sees it for cheap somewhere. He recently became a Dad, and his son is called Luke - he made a point of saying that the name was his girlfriend's suggestion, not his.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

A kid my brother was friends with had the GI Joe aircraft carrier. I hated that kid.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

I was never a pure brand kind of kid.

I played with Playmobils + Gi joe & legos. Use my sister's barbies as victims of kidnapping.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on November 23, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
My favorites were Legos; that's pretty common among engineers.

That would explain why my wife buys so many Legos for Tommy.  She's obsessed with him becoming an engineer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

So if we exhibited that the same style of play, how many of us would have been shot if modern cop practices were in use back in the day?  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2014, 10:30:55 AM
So if we exhibited that the same style of play, how many of us would have been shot if modern cop practices were in use back in the day?  <_<

Limit your douchebag ignorance to a single thread, please.

And I would shoot you for pissing on trees, and leave a drop spork at the scene.  Dumbass.