And we're back!

Main Menu

Favourite Childhood Toys

Started by Josephus, November 23, 2014, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2014, 10:30:55 AM
So if we exhibited that the same style of play, how many of us would have been shot if modern cop practices were in use back in the day?  <_<

Limit your douchebag ignorance to a single thread, please.

And I would shoot you for pissing on trees, and leave a drop spork at the scene.  Dumbass.

We should make a wager on when the first 10 year gets shot for brandishing a bow and arrow whilst wearing an ethnic headress.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 23, 2014, 06:10:35 PM

My brother & I played the hell out of that.

My first memorable toy that was mine only was Stretch Armstrong.  Took that thing with me everywhere.  Then my brothers finally did what all older brothers did to poor Stretch-- they each took one arm and stretched him across the hallway and broke him in two :(

Star Wars figures and vehicles were a big deal for my brother and me.  We also had this "robot" called 2XL that did trivia games and ran off of 8-track tapes of all things.

This was also rather kick-ass:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Pedrito

Playmobil, tons of it. Mainly Old West and Pirates. I went to the point of burying the pirates' treasure (full of splendidly shining plastic coins) in a plant pot for a later treasure hunt, but this happened a couple days before we moved, and when in the new house I was never able to find the booty again. Probably it's still rotting in a croton vase at my mom's, and I'm still regretting my idea.

Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars, slight preference for the Matchbox series.

Micronauts, the White, black, green and red sets of knight and Mount.

Small plastic animals, a crude version of the Schleich ones, from the brontosaurus to the hen. Used mainly as obstacles for the Matchbox races.

When I was 10, the Atari 2600 VCS cancelled everything else I was playing with at the time.

L.

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

crazy canuck

I had a mechano set and a monopoly game that took up most of my play time when I was young.  When I got a bit older and earned money doing odd jobs and mowing grass I bought marbles.  I spent a lot of time in the grade school playground playing with(and winning a lot more marbles.  By the time I finished grade 7 I was able to sell the whole collection and buy my first dirt bike.

Grey Fox

I was always lonely on the weekends when I was younger(mainly because 2 households) and I wanted to play Monopoly. Had my father buy me a electronic one. It was in French, france french. Took me hours to understands how francs worked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Ah yes, marbles. Went through a phase with them too. I sucked though, so I lost all my marbles pretty quickly. I got turned off gambling at a pretty young age.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2014, 05:47:09 PM
so I lost all my marbles pretty quickly.

At least make it a little more challenging than that, Jos.  Honestly.

;)

I wasn't much of a marble player either; and in lower grades that's what mattered.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2014, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 23, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
My favorites were Legos; that's pretty common among engineers.

That would explain why my wife buys so many Legos for Tommy.  She's obsessed with him becoming an engineer.

Why does she think he'll be an engineer?

One thing that I did, (and still do,) is eat dishes one at a time.  That is if a meal is turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and salad; I will eat the turkey, then the mashed potatoes, then the green beans and then the salad.  Nearly all the engineers my parents knew did the same thing, and I did well in math and science; so my parents encouraged me to consider engineering when I was in high school.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on November 25, 2014, 09:44:37 AM

Her dad's an engineer, so I guess she wants Tommy to be one as well.

QuoteOne thing that I did, (and still do,) is eat dishes one at a time.  That is if a meal is turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and salad; I will eat the turkey, then the mashed potatoes, then the green beans and then the salad.  Nearly all the engineers my parents knew did the same thing, and I did well in math and science; so my parents encouraged me to consider engineering when I was in high school.

That's exactly what I did as a kid.  I eventually got tired of people asking me why I do that (plus mom remarking about how cute it was) that I made it a point to stop.  But I'll still do it every now & then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 25, 2014, 09:39:24 AM

You don't think that was intentional? Self-deprecation is a fine art.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2014, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 23, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
My favorites were Legos; that's pretty common among engineers.

That would explain why my wife buys so many Legos for Tommy.  She's obsessed with him becoming an engineer.

One thing that I did, (and still do,) is eat dishes one at a time.  That is if a meal is turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and salad; I will eat the turkey, then the mashed potatoes, then the green beans and then the salad.  Nearly all the engineers my parents knew did the same thing, and I did well in math and science; so my parents encouraged me to consider engineering when I was in high school.

Sav's a Romulan! :o

[Well, a novel one anyway.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on November 25, 2014, 10:06:52 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 25, 2014, 09:39:24 AM

You don't think that was intentional? Self-deprecation is a fine art.

Yeah that's a line I use to0, though true in my case, possible in both senses :D; I had a lovely collection of marbles from a place called house of marbles, when they had just started, then one day I couldn't find them, no idea were those marbles went.  :wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Lego. And later Airfix figurines and models.

Eddie Teach

I do that. :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.