Polish town tears down statue of Soviet soldier raping pregnant woman

Started by Syt, December 01, 2014, 01:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/polish-town-tears-statue-marking-rape-millions-german-women-soviet-soldiers.html

QuotePolish town tears down statue marking the rape of millions of German women by Soviet soldiers

A statue that shows a Soviet soldier raping a pregnant woman as he holds a gun to her head has been removed and the artist arrested by authorities in northern Poland.  The statue, entitled Komm Frau (Come Here Woman), appeared on Gdansk's Avenue of Victory on  Saturday evening.

Artist Jerzy Szumczyk told Polish Radio he had researched the subject of rape by the Red Army as it made its way across Eastern Europe between 1944 and 1945 towards Berlin.The fifth-year student at Gdansk's Academy of Fine Arts was so emotionally affected by what he read he felt compelled to express his feelings through art and created the sculpture. But the Polish artist's attempt to pay tribute to the victims was short lived and the statue was removed this morning. Police spokeswoman Aleksandra Siewert said: 'The artist was detained and released after questioning.

'The matter will now be taken up on Monday by the prosecutor's office.' Before Germany invaded Poland in 1939, Gdansk was a free city and more than 95 per cent of people living in Gdansk at the time were German.  But millions of German women were raped by Red Army soldiers between 1944 and 1945 during the dying days of Nazi Germany.  Polish women and even Russian women released from captivity were also raped with numbers reaching 100,000. Full article: Daily Mail
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

It links to an article from Daily Mail which is from October 2013. I love how they kept stuff like "this Monday" and reposted it with today's date. Amateurs. :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2014, 01:28:33 AM
It links to an article from Daily Mail which is from October 2013. I love how they kept stuff like "this Monday" and reposted it with today's date. Amateurs. :P
So, was he prosecuted?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

He was charged with a misdemeanour (he placed the statue in a public place without any permission etc. so the police argued it was an "indecent display" equivalent or something) but that was completely thrown out of court. The fact that in the meantime Russia invaded Crimea may have played a role.

Martinus

Also, love how they call Danzig (a historical city with half a million people and 6 universities) a "town". :P