News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football manager 2015

Started by Josquius, November 15, 2014, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Are these football managements games the fan's quest for the perfection that doesn't happen on real grass?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on March 04, 2015, 08:56:05 PM
Are these football managements games the fan's quest for the perfection that doesn't happen on real grass?

In Germany we have a saying that when the national team plays there's 80 million coaches sitting in front of the screens who know better. Many fans think they could do better than the actual coaches. So in many ways, sports management games are wish fulfillment in that regard. "Why is he starting X? Y would be so much better in that position! And Z should be in central midfield, not on the right wing!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on March 01, 2015, 05:44:14 PM
I find that the game's working as it should. Yes, I lose players to injuries when I over-train them, and you'll end up with lots of deflections playing teams sitting back. Get your set-pieces in order, and you'll score anyway.

OK, so help me. I have six players injured right now. Playing in MLS so squad is thin. Big problem. I've changed my training intensity to low but guys are having all sorts of training related injuries, weights, muscles, etc.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Some players are just plain injury-prone and play maybe a fifth of a season altogether. Reading your physio's reports on your players should give you an understanding of who they might be. Rotation is most likely the best practice, but that's not always possible, as most squads won't have the depth.

My advice is to get more and better physios. And fitness coaches who weren't at Treblinka.

Josquius

I can't decide what to do with Martin Odegaard. I don't use central attacking midfielders....so should he be a winger or a central midfielder :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Liep

So I bought this. It's good, as always, but I really think they're making the players too bitchy. I had a player complain about lack of first team playing after 7 games in the league, 3 of which he started with 2 subs.

Come on. In a 42 games league.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Never really had much of an issue with players complaining.
Just one. I signed him on a free. He looked good. Spanish winger. I probably made a huge mistake by praising him after his first game.

I have very little time for assclownery by my players, so after five more games I transfer-listed his ass hard and basically gave him away to Palermo. I hope he sleeps with the fishes.

Liep

It's not much, and I've already been drawn back into this game, but it's still annoying. First team player gets sidelined for 2 months and before he's even fully recovered (orange inj) he's complaining about lack of first team football. I threw a fit and send him to the reserve team. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

How do you tackle over confidence and cocky players? <_<
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

In teamtalks, warn against complacency when possible. Don't always listen to your assistant.

There are no "super tactic" in FM anymore, but I have found that four at the back, with the full-backs in supporting roles, two deep midfielders where one is on on ball-winning duty and the other is a deep-lying playmaker, two wide players on the wings and a trequartista and a poacher make for some rather liquid, flowing attacking play.

Instructions:
Control
Flexible

Short passes
Run against defenders
Low crosses
Work ball into the box

Exploit the flanks
Look for overlap

More pressing
Push higher up
More closing down

At the back, use tight marking and preferably man-marking between the two in central defence. (Set in individual instructions)

And spend time setting up your set-piece instructions.

I am still at loss with coping with a team just sitting back, though.

Josephus

What does 'run against defenders' do? I've never really used it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2015, 07:27:53 PM
What does 'run against defenders' do? I've never really used it.

If I get it right it means that your players will try to dribble past defenders rather than cross into the area.

Josephus

I thought that's what "work ball into box" does.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Work ball into box is try and pass the ball right into the goal.
Good for keeping possession, less good for scoring
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2015, 01:57:20 PM
I can't decide what to do with Martin Odegaard. I don't use central attacking midfielders....so should he be a winger or a central midfielder :hmm:

Ødegaard in real life plays as a winger cutting inside when attacking and as wide midfielder when defending.

I notice the Spanish paper AS blaming him for Castilla's failure to gain promotion.