NCAA Basketball 2014-2015 (This may help ease the pain)

Started by PDH, November 02, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

So everyone's favorite projected 12 vs. 5 upset is Buffalo over WVU.  OMG BOBBY HURLEY IS THEIR COACH

And Jay Bilas can go eat a back of dicks.

In my Bengals pool given the large number of YEWW KAYY fans I'm guessing 90-95% of the pool will have them winning.  So it makes sense to go with a different team to have a shorter list of people to compete against, should UK lose.  So I'm putting my money and hopes on The Fighting Berkuts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well good for Hurley but it was kind of bizarre to see hype around him getting a mid-major to the tournament. Is he being hyped up to be Coach K's replacement at Duke or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 09:52:13 AM
Speaking of brackets are we going to do another Languish one? I need to get my homerific all-Big 12 Final Four in.

We need to.  Who's the commish or whatever?  I'm trying to anti-homer my brackets because the surest way for me to screw Big 12 teams is to pick them.  But I have Iowa State going pretty far in most of mine. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2015, 08:57:27 AM
Arizona gets a 2 seed, but I don't think it matters at all.

They will go as far as they go in their bracket, and had they been a 1 seed and Wisconsin the 2 seed, I don't think it would matter. In fact, I would probably rather have them a 2 in the West than a 1 somewhere else, so that is fine.

I have them going all the way in one of my brackets :thumbsup:

If they play to their potential they can beat anyone regardless how well the other team is playing. Except for maybe Kentucky playing to their potential.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2015, 09:05:12 AM
Well, I dunno - 27 wins is a fucking lot of wins.

1) It's CSU - they suck
2) They played the RPI game, lots of home games, but no good games on the road, only one top 100 road win.
3) They are CSU - they suck
4) They spent the entire week before the MWC Tourney saying they were in no matter what - this was in a down year when pundits were saying the conference was at most a 3 bid league.
5) They didn't play their big player in the MWC Tournament because they wanted him "ready for the NCAA Tournament."

In short, they were arrogant idiots who tried to play games - Wyoming Swept them, the split with both the Co-regular season champs of the MWC, making them 2-4 against the three other good teams.  That is not a recipe for greatness.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2015, 10:00:18 AM
5) They didn't play their big player in the MWC Tournament because they wanted him "ready for the NCAA Tournament."

Ok you are making that up. Not even Kentucky did that.

Was he injured or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2015, 10:00:18 AM

Ok you are making that up. Not even Kentucky did that.

Was he injured or something?

Twisted his ankle at the end of the season.  The Fort Collins newspaper had an article on Friday or Saturday (after their 2nd round loss to SDSU) that Avila could have played but was held out because they wanted him ready for the NCAAs.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 09:56:29 AM
In my Bengals pool given the large number of YEWW KAYY fans I'm guessing 90-95% of the pool will have them winning.  So it makes sense to go with a different team to have a shorter list of people to compete against, should UK lose.  So I'm putting my money and hopes on The Fighting Berkuts.

Big mistake IMO.  Everyone is really playing for 2nd place.  KU is untouchable this year.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2015, 10:13:17 AM
The Fort Collins newspaper had an article on Friday or Saturday (after their 2nd round loss to SDSU) that Avila could have played but was held out because they wanted him ready for the NCAAs.

Wow. Well at least he is rested for the NIT run.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:17:16 AM
Big mistake IMO.  Everyone is really playing for 2nd place.  KU is untouchable this year.

Yeah and it was 'UNLV and the other three' at the 1991 Final Four as well.

We will see.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:17:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 09:56:29 AM

I tend to agree. They are ridiculous.

However, every team has an off night, or bad matchups, or whatever. Ketucky wins 7/10 games against any of the rest of the current top ten, I suspect. But they only get one chance...

Plus, Kentucky has karma working against them. If there is a god and he cares at all about college basketball, Kentucky should lose in the first round.

0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 16, 2015, 10:13:17 AM
The Fort Collins newspaper had an article on Friday or Saturday (after their 2nd round loss to SDSU) that Avila could have played but was held out because they wanted him ready for the NCAAs.

Wow. Well at least he is rested for the NIT run.

Eustachy played the RPI game - the schedule was a great display of how to have a top 30 RPI with a weak schedule and no real away games, but as the NCAA committee pointed out this might not mean so much anymore.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Admiral Yi

I'll lay 2-1 KU wins the whole shebang if anyone wants to make it interesting.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:35:02 AM
I'll lay 2-1 KU wins the whole shebang if anyone wants to make it interesting.

Vegas is calling Kentucky an even odds to win it all.

That is...insane.

Of course, going undefeated in the regular season is pretty insane as well.

0 rows returned

Valmy

I think if they run this tournament 100 times, Kentucky wins it 90 times. But maybe this time will be one of those 10 times. But I am not putting any money on that.