NCAA Basketball 2014-2015 (This may help ease the pain)

Started by PDH, November 02, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think the only way to beat KU is close your eyes, hoist it from midcourt and hope every shot drops.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:17:16 AM
Big mistake IMO.  Everyone is really playing for 2nd place.  KU is untouchable this year.

You're a more experienced wagerer than I am, but my rationale is that the pool will be heavily skewed (I said 90-95% which may be an exaggeration but only slight) towards a team that has a 50% chance (based on them having even odds) of winning it all. That basically means if I win that coin flip (i.e., UK loses at some point) then I have a much easier pool to compete against. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:42:01 AM
I think the only way to beat KU is close your eyes, hoist it from midcourt and hope every shot drops.

Well lets not go too crazy. The SEC sucks ass at basketball so it may not be an accurate display of Kentucky's might.

But on the other hand I think about what they did to Kansas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 10:40:39 AM
I think if they run this tournament 100 times, Kentucky wins it 90 times. But maybe this time will be one of those 10 times. But I am not putting any money on that.

Vegas says it would be 50 times.  Which is still pretty insane as Berkut said.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 10:42:55 AM
You're a more experienced wagerer than I am, but my rationale is that the pool will be heavily skewed (I said 90-95% which may be an exaggeration but only slight) towards a team that has a 50% chance (based on them having even odds) of winning it all. That basically means if I win that coin flip (i.e., UK loses at some point) then I have a much easier pool to compete against.

But you're not picking the entire field vs. KU, you're picking individual teams.  Those teams have an infinitessimally small chance of winning their games as compared to KU's chances.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 10:49:47 AM
But you're not picking the entire field vs. KU, you're picking individual teams.  Those teams have an infinitessimally small chance of winning their games as compared to KU's chances.

I think it depends on how big the pool of picks is, and how well you can make picks.  The bigger the pool, the worse you are at picking, the better off you are going for the oddball result, since there's a greater chance that someone will get the non-KU picks better than you.

derspiess

Right.  But with such a highly skewed pool there is an opportunity to be the only one picking the winner.  With nearly everyone picking UK, me picking a team like Duke or Wisconsin ( both of which are 6-1 odds to win it all), would seem like a good strategy if I know I have a good chance at being the only one choosing one or the other. 

Plus, it's way more fun for me to root against UK than to hope I win the final score tiebreaker ;)

Also I saw where Arizona is only 15-1 to go all the way, so I may have to switch to a team with better odds.

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 11:03:26 AM
Duke is at 6-1?  I thought they were slumping.

They were 12-1 in their last 13.  One could say they had a mini-slump in January but they shook it off.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 11:02:23 AM
Also I saw where Arizona is only 15-1 to go all the way, so I may have to switch to a team with better odds.

I found that rather puzzling - why would Arizona have so much worse odds than Wisconsin, since they are both in the same bracket, and so far as I know, there isn't really much of a consensus that Wisconsin is a clearly better team...?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 11:06:55 AM
They were 12-1 in their last 13.  One could say they had a mini-slump in January but they shook it off.

I guess I just spazzed on the fact they didn't make the ACC tourney final.

Valmy

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/03/15/doyel-a-mind-blowing-5-minutes-of-the-ncaa-tournament/24825549/?hootPostID=%5B%22%5B%27250fbe7a5f162bef2adf246ec093efac%27%5D%22%5D

QuoteButler got the best and worst kind of matchup. The good? Chris Holtmann is a better coach than Texas' Rick Barnes. Listen, Barnes is a wonderful recruiter and he produces some of the strongest, toughest, most physical teams in the country. But Rick Barnes is a strength-and-conditioning coach. Chris Holtmann is a basketball coach. There is a difference, and you'll see that difference Thursday in Pittsburgh when Texas looks so physically and athletically superior, and yet Butler looks like it actually knows what to do. Does that mean Butler wins? Tough call. Texas is awfully muscular, but Rick Barnes is awfully awful. Coin flip.

Freaking Indiana sportswriters can see it, why can't our AD?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2015, 03:37:27 PM
I'll set up the bracket for you shortly.

And it's been created.
trying to figure out how to send invites to all who didn't participate last year.
our pool ID# is 143319
pass word is Wyowho? :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

I'm in.  Looking to add to my 2006, 2010, and 2012 titles.