NCAA Basketball 2014-2015 (This may help ease the pain)

Started by PDH, November 02, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I went to the Kentucky Region 9 high school championship last night.  Hell of a game.  Classic matchup between a gritty inner-city type team (Holmes HS) and the privileged white boy team (Covington Catholic).  So naturally I was rooting heavily for Holmes.  Not only did they have Beetle Bolden, who will play at WVU next season, but Cov Cath reminded me very heavily of Duke, down to the uniform colors and obnoxious (but impressive) student section.  Holmes led through the third quarter but fell apart in the 4th.  Pretty entertaining game, anyway.  People in Kentucky sure do take high school basketball seriously.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Man does it always have to come down to race with you Derracist? :P

Just kidding.  Glad you had a good time.

And yes it is impressive how seriously those Basketball first states take their High School Basketball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I hope WVU doesn't fall to a 6th seed from their projected 5th seed, but if they do there's a good chance they'll be playing in a fairly close venue (Louisville, Columbus, or Pittsburgh).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I think Texas is in now.  Latest Bracketology has them as an 11 seed & having to play in a play-in game.  If that happens I may go see them in Dayton.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2015, 08:41:44 AM
And yes it is impressive how seriously those Basketball first states take their High School Basketball.

Here's a three minute video on the student section I was talking about: https://vimeo.com/89886355

Their team won the Kentucky state championship last year.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2015, 09:48:23 AM
Still think they have to win one more game.

Nah, they're in.  It would be pretty shitty for them to have to beat Iowa State to get in.  Their resume is sold enough already. 

WVU lost to the refs Baylor and Lunardi already dropped them down to a 6 seed.  It will be refreshing not to have to play a Big 12 team.  Their relentless press is way more effective against teams that haven't had to deal with it yet.

Valmy

I think every Big 12 team feels that way.  That was a grinding conference season.  Everybody is beat up and tired.  That will probably bone us in the tournament.

PDH

Wyoming won their first round game in the MW tournament - almost gave up a 7 point lead with 1:30 left...

Two more wins against the top two teams in the conference is all we fans want!  Will Wyoming prove clutch when needed, or is this the same old curse that has haunted the team for years?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

That was a very "Rick Barnes" final 5 minutes there.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2015, 03:39:24 PM
I think every Big 12 team feels that way.  That was a grinding conference season.  Everybody is beat up and tired.  That will probably bone us in the tournament.

Silver lining to losing early in the conference tourney. Extra days' rest.

katmai

The UDub season that started 11-0 is thankfully, mercifully over as they went 5-15 in last twenty games. Only reason coach Romar is still around is he is projected to have top fifteen class of six recruits coming in.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 12, 2015, 08:00:25 PM
That was a very "Rick Barnes" final 5 minutes there.

That is it.  I think Texas is NIT bound now and that probably cost Barnes his job.  The only way Texas gets in is if everybody who wins their conference tournament was already a lock.

Leaving Prince Ibeh and Myles Turner on the bench with everything on the line?  So tired of this.  Barnes gave that game away.

celedhring

You know, you've made me check my alma mater and Columbia has a losing record in 9 out of 10 NCAA sports it competes in. Go Lions.