Apple chief Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Started by Martinus, October 30, 2014, 06:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 08:18:33 AM
A single person can up and move somewhere else rather easily. Much harder with a family and particularly hard to just give up your income as it'll have direct effects on the QoL for your children.

Debatable.  The QofL for the children isn't always the primary driver.  They go where you take them.  They'll get nothing and like it.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 08:10:56 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
Why would you marrying have helped out your career?  It certainly has not done great things for me.

Single people are disposable people.

Exactly.  I would think single people have less excuses built in to not work Midnight on Christmas.  Shareholder value!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 08:05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to ask.

I generally do not mention it, because frankly I am afraid it might be held against me for some reason.  Like you know 'ah married with kids, probably will not want to work long hours or travel and probably wants more money...NEXT'

Personal details are kept on the down low, I don't know what an individuals little prejudices are. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 09:00:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 08:18:33 AM
A single person can up and move somewhere else rather easily. Much harder with a family and particularly hard to just give up your income as it'll have direct effects on the QoL for your children.

Debatable.  The QofL for the children isn't always the primary driver.  They go where you take them.  They'll get nothing and like it.

Yeah I think you are being whack. I think in general people with families are going to be a bit more stable than Johnny Single who has no ties to the area.

The only downside on family thing is that yeah I think people will think you want to travel and you may take time off here and there for things that come up with your kids.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 07:01:11 PM
SINGLE PRIVILEGE

Came across a study recently that claimed that married men make significantly more money on average than similar single men. Apparently the same applies to women, though the difference is less.

Did the study come to any conclusions as to why?

My own suspicions - being married is associated with earning more because:

1. Married people are more likely to compromise their personal desires for a steady paying job. No more taking a year off to volunteer saving African kids or indulging in a performance art show, or whatever.

2. Married people are less likely to pick up sticks and move on to a new employer, so employers like them

3. Being married is more likely associated with a sociable set of personality traits. Sociability in turn is associated with higher income.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
Why would you marrying have helped out your career?  It certainly has not done great things for me.

Exactly.  I would think single people have less excuses built in to not work Midnight on Christmas.  Shareholder value!

Fuck that.  Less excuses?  How about it's my scheduled day off?  Volunteering me to work on holidays so you don't because you have kids makes me 1) hate my employer, and 2) hate your kids.

I was thinking disposable more along the lines of,  "We have to let one of you go.  But Dave has a wife and kids and you don't, soere's your severance.  Enjoy living in your car while Dave lives continues on with the American Dream in a split level foyer with 2 1/2 baths."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 07:01:11 PM
SINGLE PRIVILEGE

Came across a study recently that claimed that married men make significantly more money on average than similar single men. Apparently the same applies to women, though the difference is less.

Question is - which direction does causality run in?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

We get it, Seedy-- you're a sociopath.  Sheez...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 09:35:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Fuck that.  Less excuses?  How about it's my scheduled day off?  Volunteering me to work on holidays so you don't because you have kids makes me 1) hate my employer, and 2) hate your kids.

I was thinking disposable more along the lines of,  "We have to let one of you go.  But Dave has a wife and kids and you don't, soere's your severance.  Enjoy living in your car while Dave lives continues on with the American Dream in a split level foyer with 2 1/2 baths."

CdM, my straight (?) brother from a different mother! :cheers:

Malthus

What's in that decision for the boss? Why should the boss care whether you - or Dave, his wife, and little Timmy - are out on the street?

I'm assuming here the boss isn't motivated by sentimental concerns, but cold, hard shareholder values.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

What's in that decision for the boss? Why should the boss care whether you - or Dave, his wife, and little Timmy - are out on the street?

I'm assuming here the boss isn't motivated by sentimental concerns, but cold, hard shareholder values.

This is not true in most businesses.

Valmy

Dude I would never do that.  I would assume refusing to work and use my kids as an excuse would put me in danger as compared to you go-getting single people.

QuoteI was thinking disposable more along the lines of,  "We have to let one of you go.  But Dave has a wife and kids and you don't, soere's your severance.  Enjoy living in your car while Dave lives continues on with the American Dream in a split level foyer with 2 1/2 baths."

Yeah I am sure shareholder value's heart just bleeds for the little children of America. :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 10:05:08 AM
This is not true in most businesses.

Didn't you yourself say if you knew somebody had kids you would not hire them because they wouldn't work as hard and got advice on how to trick them into admitting this so you can torpedo their employment chances?  Yes you did I remember that.

Believe me I took that to heart.  I have worked hard to keep that from getting out during my job search.

derspiess

Seedy: cornered.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The boss has a wife and kids, too.