Apple chief Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

Started by Martinus, October 30, 2014, 06:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 08:28:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 07:09:17 PM
Came across a study recently that claimed that married men make significantly more money on average than similar single men. Apparently the same applies to women, though the difference is less.

That makes no sense.  Can you link to that study?

Makes plenty of sense to me.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 09:51:35 PM
Came across a study recently that claimed that married men make significantly more money on average than similar single men. Apparently the same applies to women, though the difference is less.

Why would you marrying have helped out your career?  It certainly has not done great things for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
I really don't get the point of this. Or why it's news. He wasn't in a glass closet. He was out. I've seen him on the Pink List for years. He's been named the most influential/powerful (I forget which) gay person in the world in a few mags. It wasn't even an open secret, it doesn't even qualify as an Elton John-level coming out.

What difference does this make? :mellow:

I suspect there's quite a lot of variability within industries. There are numerous major companies in luxury goods and fashion with gay CEOs. I wouldn't be surprised if tech had a pretty representative number of senior gay executives.

I think it's much less common and much more of a big deal in other industries like finance, law and energy. See Lord Browne, formerly senior in Standard Oil and CEO of BP. He'd stayed more or less in the closet (though given he later wrote a book called 'The Glass Closet' it may have been of that type) professionally but a former lover (and the Daily Mail) were going to out him and he resigned. Later he said he wished he'd been braver earlier. Now he's got lots of non-executive roles.

Because he never publically acknowledged it people were still stumbling about what they could or could not say.

This was a minor story just a few months ago:

QuoteSimon Hobbs is likely wishing he could press rewind.

The CNBC co-anchor spoke too soon during a live segment of "Squawk on the Street" Friday when he accidentally outed Apple CEO Tim Cook.

New York Times columnist and CNBC contributor James B. Stewart spoke about his recent column dealing with the "tortured life" former BP chief John Browne led as a closeted gay CEO.

"I just found it very, very fascinating," Stewart said about Browne being the first CEO of a Fortune 500 or FTSE 100 company to publicly acknowledge that he is gay after being outed by a tabloid.

Shortly after, Browne resigned from BP in 2007.

"Of course, there are gay CEOs in major companies," Stewart continued. "I reached out to many of them."

New York Times columnist Jim Stewart (left), who has written about openly gay company CEOs, shakes his head disapprovingly during an awkward silence after CNBC 'Squawk on the Street' co-host Simon Hobbs (second from right) mistakenly 'outs' Apple CEO Tim Cook.
CNBC/Some Brooklyn Guy via YouTube

New York Times columnist Jim Stewart (left), who has written about openly gay company CEOs, shakes his head disapprovingly during an awkward silence after CNBC 'Squawk on the Street' co-host Simon Hobbs (second from right) mistakenly 'outs' Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Upon speaking to the closeted gay CEOs Stewart was aware of, he realized how none were willing to be identified although their initial interaction was pleasant.

"I got an extremely cool reception," he recalled, adding that "not one would allow to be named at all."

"I think Tim Cook is open about the fact he's gay at the head of Apple," Hobbs said. "Isn't he?"

An awkward silence followed as Hobbs quickly realized his snafu.

"Hmm, no," Stewart said shaking his head.

"Oh dear, was that an error?" Hobbs asked. "I thought he was open about it."

While Cook has been candid about his support of LGBT rights, he has never publicly spoken out about his own sexuality or addressed Hobbs remarks.

"I applaud @WhiteHouse decision to ban #LGBT discrimination at fed contractors," he tweeted June 17. "House must act on #ENDA. A matter of basic human dignity."

Confirming Hobbs error, co-anchor David Faber said, "Wow, I think you just ... yeah."

Still Hobbs tried to conceal his mistake by saying, "I think he's very open about it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/cnbc-co-anchor-accidentally-outed-apple-ceo-tim-cook-gay-article-1.1848553

The reason it was a story is that despite it being a non-story, he'd still never, ever publically acknowledged it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 09:52:30 PM

Why would you marrying have helped out your career?  It certainly has not done great things for me.

Socially awkward people are less likely to get married or to succeed in business.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Yeah it's funny how Valmy is completely blind here.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: dps on October 30, 2014, 06:51:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2014, 05:15:14 PM

Finally, you have to remember that absence of privilege is also an obstacle - I have seen the fact "oh, he has a stable life, has wife and kids" used as an advantage in deciding on someone's promotion..

OTOH, I've seen, "Oh, he's single and has no family, so he has no reason to not put in a lot of overtime" presented as an advantage, too.

Right.  Fighting for promotions and jobs is all about spinning whatever your conditions are to your advantage.  Besides these days gay people can marry and have kids where a lot of these Corps are headquartered.

And in a lot of places where a lot of these Corps are headquartered you can be legally fired for being gay.

frunk

I think hiring bias is less at play here than the need for someone married with kids to earn more for the future.  They are more likely to take the better paying job they don't like than the single person.

The Brain

You know who don't have a wife and kids? Weirdos. And you don't want weirdos in senior positions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 01:37:01 AM

You're right.  When I was getting married not one person, not even HR people, ever said 'oh man you need to make sure this shows up on your resume'. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 07:19:33 AM

You're right.  When I was getting married not one person, not even HR people, ever said 'oh man you need to make sure this shows up on your resume'.

They can tell, your hobbies change from sky diving and off-roading to home improvements and lawn care.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

Quote from: frunk on October 31, 2014, 05:04:14 AM

I think hiring bias is less at play here than the need for someone married with kids to earn more for the future.  They are more likely to take the better paying job they don't like than the single person.

That's what happened to me at any rate. New kid, needed bigger house - so moved out of the public sector for a 50% pay rise.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 07:19:33 AM

I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to ask.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Single people are disposable people.

CountDeMoney

That's bullshit.  When you're single, there's nobody else to help you keep the lights on.  You have no choice but to take any piece of shit job you can get.  Dual income households have more of a cushion.

Fucking kids argument.  Fuck peoples' kids.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2014, 08:16:50 AM

That's bullshit.  When you're single, there's nobody else to help you keep the lights on.  You have no choice but to take any piece of shit job you can get.  Dual income households have more of a cushion.

Fucking kids argument.  Fuck peoples' kids.

A single person can up and move somewhere else rather easily. Much harder with a family and particularly hard to just give up your income as it'll have direct effects on the QoL for your children.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.