Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2014, 01:31:26 AM
I wasn't sure about CdM, but I would be willing to bet good money on Berkut. It was still at Paradox.
IIRC, there as one thread where this surfaced, nuking Mecca, and it wasn't Berkut, nor anyone from Languish.  I just can't remember the name of the dude, but I think he was Scottish.  Or British (and it wasn't Top Cat).  And maybe one or two others.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

I am waiting for a check from Marty - what is "good money" for a Polish lawyer?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2014, 10:13:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2014, 01:31:26 AM
I wasn't sure about CdM, but I would be willing to bet good money on Berkut. It was still at Paradox.
IIRC, there as one thread where this surfaced, nuking Mecca, and it wasn't Berkut, nor anyone from Languish.  I just can't remember the name of the dude, but I think he was Scottish.  Or British (and it wasn't Top Cat).  And maybe one or two others.

One of the more vehement ones was Sean89 (or Sean[someothernumber]). He had an Irish EU avatar, but was from NYC IIRC.

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2014, 10:16:13 AM
I am waiting for a check from Marty - what is "good money" for a Polish lawyer?

Couple brooding chickens
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 29, 2014, 12:34:28 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/28/distinction_between_terrorist_or_murderer_label_is_important_tim_harper.html

Star Columnist asks the same question I posed earlier.

Languish Journalism cabal is as good as Languish lawyer cabal

Fair, but I disagree with the thesis.

QuoteBut if we were to characterize him and the man who killed Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent as mentally ill murderers, a government would not have licence to sharpen its rhetoric and move intrusively into the realm of civil liberties.

Who forms the larger group in our society:

(a) Terrorism sympathizers; or

(b) The mentally ill?

To my mind, there is just as much scope for potentially intruding on civil liberties if this is characterized as a "mentally ill problem". Maybe more. Imagine the RCMP combing through your medical records, or having to submit to a government "mental health clearance" for obtaining routine licences and passports. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

On the other hand, if the emphasis is put on mental illness perhaps more resources will be provided to help people with mental illness.

Grallon

The contortions made in Canada in order to avoid naming the elephant in the room are almost comical.   :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on October 29, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
The contortions made in Canada in order to avoid naming the elephant in the room are almost comical.   :rolleyes:

G.

If you read the thread carefully you will see we have indeed dealt with you. :)

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on October 29, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

G.

Elephant, I name thee "Grallon" and thy traits are hysteria and xenophobia.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2014, 01:08:48 PM
On the other hand, if the emphasis is put on mental illness perhaps more resources will be provided to help people with mental illness.

True - but that could very easily go hand-in-hand with the stated concern (adverse impact on civil liberties).

Quite aside from this scenario, I've long been of the opinion that how mental illness is handled in this country is a problem - our policies have, historically, swung between extremes: involuntary committal being easy on the one hand, to near impossible on the other, with funding low for treatment and that difficult to get. Or at least, so it was last time I looked into it.

Anecdotally, if you have to deal with a mentally ill person, you will apparently get precious little support from the authorities - I remember some examples of roommate concerns in which the response of the authorities was almost comical in its ineffectuality (the problem was "solved" in both cases with the people I knew moving out and leaving it behind them, presumably for the landlord to deal with). I can only imagine what it was like to *be* that mentally ill person, or their families.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

When I moved to Canada in '89 there were basically no visibly homeless people in Ottawa. A few years later, there was a significant change to how the programs on mental illness. Money were saved, and things like housing and in-patient treatment was drastically cut in favour of allegedly more efficient and humane out-patient treatment combined with a reliance on the existing social safety network.

Pretty much simultaneously with that, homeless people started appearing in the streets and they've been a regular feature of Canadian urban life since then in my observation.