Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Viking on October 22, 2014, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2014, 04:44:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2014, 04:14:59 PM
Yep. There's a reason they're buying Islam for Dummies before getting on a plane to Syria. I always think there's a lot to the view in Four Lions. Contra Grallon it's the guys in beards and shalwar kameezes that you shouldn't worry about.

These guys in beards don't have any role in radicalizing the converts?

They are buying islam for dummies since all they know is what the guys with beards dressed in bedsheets tell them. Unfortunately for the world that is kill/murder/rape as they are instructed to do in the koran and as the prophet did as the example they are to follow.

getting rid of the political correctness nonsense takes a while

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 23, 2014, 05:37:33 AM
Yep. There's a reason they're buying Islam for Dummies before getting on a plane to Syria. I always think there's a lot to the view in Four Lions. Contra Grallon it's the guys in beards and shalwar kameezes that you shouldn't worry about.

They are buying islam for dummies since all they know is what the guys with beards dressed in bedsheets tell them. Unfortunately for the world that is kill/murder/rape as they are instructed to do in the koran and as the prophet did as the example they are to follow.

Yeah keep dreaming if you think most of us will succumb to your bigotry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

So 1 dead & 2 wounded. This isn't even the worse shooting in a Parliement in Canada.

In 84, man in quebec killed 3 & wounded 13. Perpetrator is still alive, actually he's free. Iirc, he was jailed for ~10 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2014, 04:41:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 04:16:03 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 22, 2014, 04:12:41 PM
So, much for Canadian gun control.

Perp was allegedly using a long gun, which is legal to purchase in Canada.

And doesn't have to register it.....for some reason   :hmm:

Not sure what difference that would have made in these circumstances.

"Attacker, shot dead in parliament, was brandishing a registered long gun ..."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 08:07:25 AM

Is this social media sourced, bbc reported photo likely to be both real and the suspect?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 23, 2014, 01:57:04 AM
The Sergeant-at-Arms killed the gunman  :cool:

I think Mr Vickers can expect another medal from her maj soon  :cool:

An odd dramatic experience to have near the end of his career, it seems he's been a very senior career police officer, though he might well have never shot someone, so he takes up this important, but also ceremonial job and has to kill an attacker.

The sort of decision you'd expect a young front-line city policeman to have to make and yet at around the age of 60 he finds himself having to make that sort of correct split second decision.   :cool:

HVC

His mom works for the I immagration board. Feel kind of bad for her that they released her info and picture.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on October 23, 2014, 09:03:46 AM
His mom works for the I immagration board. Feel kind of bad for her that they released her info and picture.

Yeah, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2014, 05:53:59 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 23, 2014, 05:37:33 AM

Yeah keep dreaming if you think most of us will succumb to your bigotry.

Sadly I say a third of the board already has.  I repost something that libertarians showed me, I get all sorts of shit from people.  grallon goes on about genocide: Not a fucking peep.  If I stand up against that kind of bullshit Dguller calls me "defender of the faith".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 08:07:25 AM

Is this social media sourced, bbc reported photo likely to be both real and the suspect?

It's being used here, too. So I assume so.

Check out these pics - as it turns out, the Seargent-at-Arms was wearing his ceremonial garb at the time of the shootout! [Well, minus the hat, chain of office, and mace]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2804397/Canadian-sergeant-arms-58-hailed-hero-shooting-dead-terrorist-Zehaf-Bibeau-exchange-gunfire-30-year-career.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2014, 09:19:21 AM
Sadly I say a third of the board already has.  I repost something that libertarians showed me, I get all sorts of shit from people.  grallon goes on about genocide: Not a fucking peep.

You should take it as a compliment.  We all realize there is no point in responding to Grallon.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 09:15:49 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 23, 2014, 09:03:46 AM

Yeah, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

Remarkably so.

I saw on TV a story titled something like "attacker's mom revealed to be [name]" with her pic.

This is news?

crazy canuck

The more you learn about our Sergeant-at-Arms the more you have to admire the guy.

From Wente'e piece in the Globe today:

QuoteAnd I learned that I had woefully underestimated our quaint parliamentary traditions. I'd always thought our sergeant-at-arms was just some guy whose job was to re-enact one of our dustier traditions by dressing up in funny clothes and carrying around a mace (whatever that is). Who knew he was also a crack shot?

But Kevin Vickers, who is 58 and looks it, reportedly can aim and fire with deadly precision when his nation is attacked, then go back into his office to reload. He'll never brag about it, either. That would be un-Canadian.

Mr. Vickers is the reason why terrorism doesn't have a chance in this country. He has made a career of reaching out to Muslims, Sikhs, First Nations, and others who haven't always been included in this country. When the Idle No More movement marched on Parliament Hill, he formally exchanged tobacco with a First Nations chief and said, "I understand your frustration. I understand the conditions in which you people live and I also understand the importance of tobacco and what it means as not only a gift, but as a sign of respect for your people." After the Quebec National Assembly banned the kirpan, he made sure the ceremonial dagger would be allowed in the House of Commons. As he told one gathering of Sikhs, he doesn't like the word "tolerance." "No," he said. "As head of security, I am going to accept and embrace your symbol of faith within the Parliamentary Precinct."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/terrorists-dont-have-a-chance-in-this-country/article21252026/

viper37

Man arrested in Halifax, guns found in a bus stop.
News piece.

Probably not related, most likely another lunatic "inspired" by current events.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2014, 09:45:10 AM
The more you learn about our Sergeant-at-Arms the more you have to admire the guy.

From Wente'e piece in the Globe today:

QuoteAnd I learned that I had woefully underestimated our quaint parliamentary traditions. I'd always thought our sergeant-at-arms was just some guy whose job was to re-enact one of our dustier traditions by dressing up in funny clothes and carrying around a mace (whatever that is). Who knew he was also a crack shot?

But Kevin Vickers, who is 58 and looks it, reportedly can aim and fire with deadly precision when his nation is attacked, then go back into his office to reload. He'll never brag about it, either. That would be un-Canadian.

Mr. Vickers is the reason why terrorism doesn't have a chance in this country. He has made a career of reaching out to Muslims, Sikhs, First Nations, and others who haven't always been included in this country. When the Idle No More movement marched on Parliament Hill, he formally exchanged tobacco with a First Nations chief and said, "I understand your frustration. I understand the conditions in which you people live and I also understand the importance of tobacco and what it means as not only a gift, but as a sign of respect for your people." After the Quebec National Assembly banned the kirpan, he made sure the ceremonial dagger would be allowed in the House of Commons. As he told one gathering of Sikhs, he doesn't like the word "tolerance." "No," he said. "As head of security, I am going to accept and embrace your symbol of faith within the Parliamentary Precinct."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/terrorists-dont-have-a-chance-in-this-country/article21252026/

I read that this AM and also thought it was awesome.