Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on October 22, 2014, 04:12:41 PM
So, much for Canadian gun control.

Perp was allegedly using a long gun, which is legal to purchase in Canada.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

I feel the comma is saving that sentence from being utter garbage.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 04:16:03 PM

And doesn't have to register it.....for some reason   :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2014, 04:14:59 PM
Yep. There's a reason they're buying Islam for Dummies before getting on a plane to Syria. I always think there's a lot to the view in Four Lions. Contra Grallon it's the guys in beards and shalwar kameezes that you shouldn't worry about.

These guys in beards don't have any role in radicalizing the converts?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2014, 04:44:54 PM
Yep. There's a reason they're buying Islam for Dummies before getting on a plane to Syria. I always think there's a lot to the view in Four Lions. Contra Grallon it's the guys in beards and shalwar kameezes that you shouldn't worry about.

These guys in beards don't have any role in radicalizing the converts?

They are buying islam for dummies since all they know is what the guys with beards dressed in bedsheets tell them. Unfortunately for the world that is kill/murder/rape as they are instructed to do in the koran and as the prophet did as the example they are to follow.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

True, but as I was hearing the reports coming in this morning I reflected on how much worse it could have been if this guy had ready access to the kind of weaponry Americans can purchase.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

True, but as I was hearing the reports coming in this morning I reflected on how much worse it could have been if this guy had ready access to the kind of weaponry Americans can purchase.

On that there can be no argument.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 10:53:03 AM
I came in to remark on this - rumour has it that the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Commons personally shot an assailant - pretty sure that's a first.
:o Wow. Did Black Rod personally arrest him too? :mellow:

QuoteWhich again points to below intelligence attackers, no doubt vulnerable/isolated individuals latching onto or being indoctrinated by skilled preachers/activists. And ending up doing something stupid, in a stupid way, for a stupid cause and ending with a stupid waste of life.

Yeah, that's a great film, truthful, funny and  tragic. And from who else but Mr Brassneck.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
As expected, homegrown.
QuoteLaw enforcement and U.S. government sources tell CBS News the dead shooting suspect is Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, born 1982, and he is believed to be Canadian-born.

EDIT: from Montreal. <sigh>

The message is obvious: we cannot trust people from Quebec.

;)
I was gonna say we cannot trust people from Montreal ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Most guns are legal for purchase in Canada, you just can't buy them at a Wal-Mart on a sunday morning ;)

Those that can't be bought legally can be bought illegally.  It's about as hard to find as drugs.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2014, 08:26:36 PM
Ammo is the hard part, no?
It's getting the license to own a non hunting rifle that is hard.
You need to belong to a shooting club, be a hunter, be a collector or prove you really need a gun.  Then the cops check on you, and if everything clears, you may be allowed to buy one.
Some models available in the US are totally forbidden though, but not that many.

And if the non hunting rifles aren't registered, you can not legally buy ammo.
Hunting rifles like the one used are ok outside of Quebec.

Syt

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins-show-solidarity-by-playing-o-canada-1.2809639

QuotePittsburgh Penguins show solidarity by playing 'O Canada'

After a tragic day in Ottawa, the NHL and the Pittsburgh Penguins proved that they are about more than just hockey. The Penguins decided to play the Canadian national anthem prior to their game against the Philadelphia Flyers Wednesday night.

The lyrics to "O Canada" were placed on the scoreboard to encourage fan participation in the singing of both anthems. It was a touching moment that emphasized that this is more than just a game.

Fans and Canadians showed their appreciation to the Penguins on Twitter.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

The Sergeant-at-Arms killed the gunman  :cool:

I think Mr Vickers can expect another medal from her maj soon  :cool: