Soldier shot at National War Memorial in Ottawa

Started by viper37, October 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

You know you are in Canada when the follow up conversation after stating the latest news in the ottawa shooting is to ask : Is the NHL game in Ottawa tonight still on?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

KRonn

This is all over the news here, constant coverage. Hard to get real details as yet since things are still ongoing, obvioiusly. The news station did have one or two MPs speaking who were in the building and had to be evacuated. Wednesdays are the days when Parliament has some kind of formal meetings? So I'm assuming this was timed for today for that reason.

I also heard that a few years ago that a large group of terrorists were caught before they could make an attack on Ottawa. So this kind of thing has some background to it. Also that Ottawa isn't as fortified as Washington or London, making it an easier target for the crazies.

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on October 22, 2014, 01:06:14 PM
Wednesdays are the days when Parliament has some kind of formal meetings? So I'm assuming this was timed for today for that reason.

Its caucus day.  This is the day when Parliament begins its proceedings in the afternoon to allow time for the parties to hold their internal caucus meetings in the morning.  Its actually the worst time for the attacker(s) because nobody would have been walking around Parliament at that time - everyone of any significance was in meetings.   I think we can thank the poor timing of this attack for the fact that no one in the Parliament buildings was shot.

On a normal day Parliamentary proceedings would have started in the morning and there would have been a large number of potential targets walking about.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
Wednesdays are the days when Parliament has some kind of formal meetings? So I'm assuming this was timed for today for that reason.

Its caucus day.  This is the day when Parliament begins its proceedings in the afternoon to allow time for the parties to hold their internal caucus meetings in the morning.  Its actually the worst time for the attacker(s) because nobody would have been walking around Parliament at that time - everyone of any significance was in meetings.   I think we can thank the poor timing of this attack for the fact that no one in the Parliament buildings was shot.

On a normal day Parliamentary proceedings would have started in the morning and there would have been a large number of potential targets walking about.

Which again points to below intelligence attackers, no doubt vulnerable/isolated individuals latching onto or being indoctrinated by skilled preachers/activists. And ending up doing something stupid, in a stupid way, for a stupid cause and ending with a stupid waste of life.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

This is pure speculation, but I heard there was some intelligence about this and maybe even arrests. In which case this could have been a desperate move to get some shots in before they all got rounded up.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 22, 2014, 09:59:28 AM
I'm impressed that grallon can tell he's a muslim from the description we have so far: "man running with double-barrelled shotgun, wearing a scarf and blue jeans."

He knew Muslims were involved in the Norway bombing and massacre as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 01:36:04 PM

Good that the shooter at Parliament was stopped before he could do any damage there, and that apparently there weren't many people for him to get to at the time before he was shot by security. I guess he's the one who did shoot the soldier at the memorial though.

viper37

As expected, homegrown.
QuoteLaw enforcement and U.S. government sources tell CBS News the dead shooting suspect is Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, born 1982, and he is believed to be Canadian-born.

EDIT: from Montreal. <sigh>
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2014, 11:56:15 AM
Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2014, 11:24:47 AM
Are there many terrorists that are not radicalized?

Guns for hire.

I don't want to chase this too far, as I have no interest in nit-picky semantics debates, but to me one of the main things about a terrorist is a political motive.  I suppose a terrorist organization could hire some no-believing mercenaries but that would be a strange approach and I can't think of an example of that happening.

My original point, was that "radicalized terrorist" as used above seemed very redundant but I Googled 'radicalized' while writing this and the first two pages are all about the radicalized Canadians that carried out these attacks, so I suppose Canuck was just using terms that had become commonplace.

Malthus

Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2014, 03:34:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2014, 11:56:15 AM
Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2014, 11:24:47 AM
Are there many terrorists that are not radicalized?

Guns for hire.

I don't want to chase this too far, as I have no interest in nit-picky semantics debates, but to me one of the main things about a terrorist is a political motive.  I suppose a terrorist organization could hire some no-believing mercenaries but that would be a strange approach and I can't think of an example of that happening.

Carlos "The Jackal" apparently received a lot of personal cash for taking OPEC hostages; Abu Nidal was often described as, essentially, a mercenary terrorist.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2014, 03:34:27 PM
My original point, was that "radicalized terrorist" as used above seemed very redundant but I Googled 'radicalized' while writing this and the first two pages are all about the radicalized Canadians that carried out these attacks, so I suppose Canuck was just using terms that had become commonplace.

The reason these people are referred to as "radicalized" is because they were otherwise normal citizens who took a significant turn in their world view.  The person from Quebec, for example, is a good example of a person who became radicalized.

But not all people who are radicalized are terrorists and not all terrorists are radicalized. For example a person may always hold a paricular world view and turn to terrorism to achieve their ends.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
As expected, homegrown.
QuoteLaw enforcement and U.S. government sources tell CBS News the dead shooting suspect is Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, born 1982, and he is believed to be Canadian-born.

EDIT: from Montreal. <sigh>

The message is obvious: we cannot trust people from Quebec.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 10:53:03 AM
I came in to remark on this - rumour has it that the sergeant-at-arms for the House of Commons personally shot an assailant - pretty sure that's a first.
:o Wow. Did Black Rod personally arrest him too? :mellow:

QuoteWhich again points to below intelligence attackers, no doubt vulnerable/isolated individuals latching onto or being indoctrinated by skilled preachers/activists. And ending up doing something stupid, in a stupid way, for a stupid cause and ending with a stupid waste of life.
Yep. There's a reason they're buying Islam for Dummies before getting on a plane to Syria. I always think there's a lot to the view in Four Lions. Contra Grallon it's the guys in beards and shalwar kameezes that you shouldn't worry about.
Let's bomb Russia!