If you were the Israeli Prime Minister would you strike Iran's nuclear sites?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 13, 2009, 02:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were the Israeli Prime Minister would you strike Iran's nuclear sites?

Yes
18 (40.9%)
No
26 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

The Brain

Quote from: saskganesh on June 14, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2009, 02:02:45 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 14, 2009, 02:01:02 AM
officially Israel will not confirm or deny possesion of nukes so I assume this poll is hypothetical, based on rumoured capacity.  :P

voted no. cop to having weapons and work more on international arms down.

You think that Israel has no capacity to strike Iran except by nukes?

they have no moral capacity for a first strike.

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: saskganesh on June 14, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2009, 02:02:45 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 14, 2009, 02:01:02 AM
officially Israel will not confirm or deny possesion of nukes so I assume this poll is hypothetical, based on rumoured capacity.  :P

voted no. cop to having weapons and work more on international arms down.

You think that Israel has no capacity to strike Iran except by nukes?

they have no moral capacity for a first strike.
I wasn't talking about a nuclear first strike.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2009, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2009, 10:55:41 AM
No, I'd have better things to do, like doing what the international community wants with the Palestinians.
As an Israeli prime minister why would you care what the international community wants? You should care what your constituents want.
:lol:
Since when have politicians did that?
I'd never get elected to being Israeli PM of course but if some weird magic places me in that position then I'm going to do the right thing rather than be a populist.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

If airstrike can solve the problem, I bet they would already have done it. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 15, 2009, 05:28:28 AM
No, I'd have better things to do, like doing what the international community wants with the Palestinians.
As an Israeli prime minister why would you care what the international community wants? You should care what your constituents want.
I'd never get elected to being Israeli PM of course but if some weird magic places me in that position then I'm going to do the right thing rather than be a populist.
:huh: Any politician interested in reelection and the well being of his country does that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 06:08:16 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 15, 2009, 05:28:28 AM
:huh: Any politician interested in reelection and the well being of his country does that.

It would of course be beyond the realms of possibility that what insane right-wing fringe lunatics in Israel want does not form the only interpretation of Israeli national interest.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 06:08:16 AM
No they don't.
Only if there's a huge press campaign on certain issues do they even humour the populace's ideas on how the country should be run.
Thats generally not how politicans work at all. They try to look out for the best interests of their country (usually) but they don't do that by mindlessly pandering to the masses and asking them how to do things.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on June 15, 2009, 06:10:34 AM
It would of course be beyond the realms of possibility that what insane right-wing fringe lunatics in Israel want does not form the only interpretation of Israeli national interest.
On the other hand, I don't think it's a good idea to give viscious anti-semites like Jos any credence when they claim that Israel's national interest is to encourage Muslims to destroy them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 15, 2009, 05:47:46 AM
If airstrike can solve the problem, I bet they would already have done it. 

It wouldn't. Iranian paramilitaries are way too decentralized for a surgical strike program to do much against them; there's just very little hierarchy to break apart.

Also, as soon as word of the first strike got out, the Iranians would call up all their fence-sitting anti-semitic friends and go "See? We were right, the Jews shed Iranian blood" and the whole damn area would destabilize.

Way too much risk and way too little reward.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 07:56:55 AM
On the other hand, I don't think it's a good idea to give viscious anti-semites like Jos any credence when they claim that Israel's national interest is to encourage Muslims to destroy them.
Vicious anti-semite? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on June 15, 2009, 11:34:19 AM
Indeed you are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on June 15, 2009, 11:34:19 AM

No, "viscious". I assume he meant viscous.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

QuoteIndeed you are.
What a crappy insult, they're generally supposed to be based on some smidgen of truth you know.
The emo thing works, I am a bit bi-polar and so occasionally down and to you old folks all modern music is the same.
Anti-semite though is just random.

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2009, 02:42:15 PM
Sadly vacuous would be the most appropriate descriptor.

My anti-semitism is quite vacuous really, yes
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2009, 04:52:40 PM

The emo thing works, I am a bit bi-polar and so occasionally down and to you old folks all modern music is the same.

And drunkard. Don't forget drunkard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive