If you were the Israeli Prime Minister would you strike Iran's nuclear sites?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 13, 2009, 02:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were the Israeli Prime Minister would you strike Iran's nuclear sites?

Yes
18 (40.9%)
No
26 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Jaron

I'm too lazy to make sock puppets, and Neil looks too closely at that stuff. Honestly, I don't even know why you'd suspect me Syt, I've never made a sock ever.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

As for the question, there are many known unknowns.

I guess that the Israelis don't think they can hit the targets hard enough to cripple the Iranian program. I haven't read up on what is known about the Iranian sites but I would suppose that they are less sensitive to airstrikes than say the Syrian site. 7,000 centrifuges (or whatever) for enriching uranium are a bit harder to kill than a single reactor for plutonium production. Also unlike Syria (I assume) the Iranians are big enough to be able to replace key personnel etc if need be and are not dependent on foreign assistance.

A nuclear first strike would set in motion a series of events that is just too unpredictable for comfort. I'd have to get a lot more desperate before I'd try that one.

If Iran had been as easy to hit successfully as Syria I would strike. But it's not so I wouldn't.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2009, 01:23:58 AM
Probably Ed or Jaron. Either way, not worth paying attention, though.

Ed's to busy.  It's probably that creepy German guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2009, 02:42:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2009, 01:23:58 AM
Probably Ed or Jaron. Either way, not worth paying attention, though.

Ed's to busy.  It's probably that creepy German guy.

1:28am? I was asleep, like most normal folk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Ahmadinejads Shaggy Beard on June 14, 2009, 12:10:51 AM
QuoteYes
    - 11 (52.4%)

I can only surmise that the majority of this board are idiots, an Israeli bombing of Iran's nuclear sites would be geopolitical armageddon in the Middle East. You could kiss goodbye any rapproachment with Iran and the Islamic world, serious retardment of the Palestinian peace process, and angrier Hizbullah and Hamas, a ferocious Iranian response in Iraq and possibly Afghanistan. Israeli-US relations would be crippled...no, actually that would be a good thing. And worst of all, a bombing would most likely delay Iran's nuclear programme for a month or two at most. There's a reason that the most pro-Israeli US administration in history refused to greenlight an attack (allegedly).

The other option, from an Israeli point of view, is a nuclear-armed Iran.

Hmm. I'll still go with taking them out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Wait...We're not talking about nuking them. Israel wouldnt' do that.

We're just talking about a strategic air strike, like they did years ago in Iraq.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jos Theelen

I would follow my people.

QuotePoll: Most Israelis could live with a nuclear Iran

Only one in five Israeli Jews believes a nuclear-armed Iran would try to destroy Israel and most see life continuing as normal should the Islamic Republic get the bomb, an opinion poll published on Sunday found.
The survey, commissioned by a Tel Aviv University think-tank, appeared to challenge the argument of successive Israeli governments that Iran must be denied the means to make atomic weapons lest it threaten Israel's existence.
Asked how a nuclear-armed Iran would affect their lives, 80 percent of respondents said they expected no change. Eleven percent said they would consider emigrating and 9 percent said they would consider relocating inside Israel.

Josquius

No, I'd have better things to do, like doing what the international community wants with the Palestinians.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2009, 10:55:41 AM
No, I'd have better things to do, like doing what the international community wants with the Palestinians.
As an Israeli prime minister why would you care what the international community wants? You should care what your constituents want.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Only as part of a grander scheme.  Conventional strikes against research and enrichment centres would be accompanied by atomic strikes on population centres.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2009, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2009, 10:55:41 AM
As an Israeli prime minister why would you care what the international community wants? You should care what your constituents want.
Jos' main job as PM of Israel would be getting assassinated.  Emo kids don't make good politicians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

No. I would focus entirely on population centres.

No bomb left behind.

DisturbedPervert

QuotePoll: Most Israelis could live with a nuclear Iran

Most might be ok with it, but they're not going to be able to live with it.

saskganesh

Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2009, 02:02:45 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 14, 2009, 02:01:02 AM
officially Israel will not confirm or deny possesion of nukes so I assume this poll is hypothetical, based on rumoured capacity.  :P

voted no. cop to having weapons and work more on international arms down.

You think that Israel has no capacity to strike Iran except by nukes?

they have no moral capacity for a first strike.
humans were created in their own image