Main Menu

What is your "Great Work"?

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2014, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 09:07:52 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 17, 2014, 06:42:01 PM
Organic Superlube.

Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff.  You really have to keep an eye on it, though—it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 17, 2014, 09:21:10 PM
I've shit 5 times today.

Yeah, there's a medical term for that.  It's called "dying".  :console:

Ed Anger

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
Apparently freemasons hook each other up in the business world more than big school alumni. 

Having worked for a freemason, holy balls, yes.

Having a masonic ring is pretty much the holy grail of networking.  It was always amazing watching my old boss get wheeling and dealing once he established contact with a fellow freemason at *any* level of an organization he was doing business with.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Damn maybe I should join the Freemasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
My Great Life Project is to design and implement an organizing principle to replace the failed Methodism of my father.

Does your father consider that Methodism has failed him?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2014, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
Apparently freemasons hook each other up in the business world more than big school alumni. 

Having worked for a freemason, holy balls, yes.

Having a masonic ring is pretty much the holy grail of networking.  It was always amazing watching my old boss get wheeling and dealing once he established contact with a fellow freemason at *any* level of an organization he was doing business with.

I don't know if many masons exist under the age of 80 or so.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 10:21:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
My Great Life Project is to design and implement an organizing principle to replace the failed Methodism of my father.

Does your father consider that Methodism has failed him?

I am frankly more confused about Methodism being an organizing principle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

One day I will help Ide make a very poignant political statement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 10:22:05 PM

Hard to estimate- they don't usually advertise it so much.  That boss I worked for is in his mid-40s, though.  Also, a friend of mine in my grade in high school married a guy two years ahead of us who is a mason, for a couple of examples that they're still around.

Fun fact: my mom was actually a member of the female equivalent: the Order of the Eastern Star, so maybe I'm a little tuned to it, since I grew up around that stuff.  I actually considered freemasonry, but the sticking point is that I'm really not sure whether or not I "believe in a supreme being."
Experience bij!

LaCroix

i don't think i've ever had a desire to accomplish a "great work" as defined in this thread. :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on October 17, 2014, 11:17:44 PM
i don't think i've ever had a desire to accomplish a "great work" as defined in this thread. :hmm:

In this, I have sympathy for Marty's thread.

Have you never aspired to be a part of something "greater than yourself"?  Whether it be your family, your faith, to improve the world, to leave some mark after you're gone... is there not some greater purpose to our day to day existence than merely existing?

LaCroix

i mean, i'd like to have children some day, but that's more out of selfishness. i have every respect for mankind, etc., i just don't think i've ever wanted to actually help out. it's not that i lack drive, it's just focused inward rather than outward. beating down competition/opposition is a heck of a lot more fun and interesting. :Canuck:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 10:22:05 PM

Still very big with the younger Dazzling Urbanites.