News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your "Great Work"?

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2014, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My Great Life Project is to design and implement an organizing principle to replace the failed Methodism of my father.

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2014, 03:46:43 PM
To actually answer the OP (yes I know, strange concept  :P ): When I was young, my "Great Work" was going to be designing a work combining philosophy and art in such a way as to move humanity in a positive direction; as I get older, the focus has narrowed; I can already look forward to the day when my "Great Work" will consist of getting out of bed.  :D

:D

Yes, I was going to write an integrated world history that explained why things happened the way they did.

I've now rescaled my ambitions and hope to vacuum my study tomorrow  :P

Camerus

To be left alone to read books, drink, listen to music, and earn my daily bread.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 01:40:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 01:36:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 01:34:32 PMNo not really. Also, I was just thinking about how quick you are to perceive a slight that doesn't really even have to be one. Granted, I think you have all picked up correctly on Marti's generally tendencies, but if we are considering him to be "reformed", I think it would behoove us not to get so touchy and pissy before he does.

Marty has already shown that he hasn't reformed AFAIAC.

I've only seen him wish a terrible life on one person so far. -_-

Yeah, that's not so bad.  Before, he would have wished terrible deaths on several of us by now.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 02:18:07 PM
Don't feel bad, you could always change your major to math, like this guy:

:x

I am two months from graduating and damn me if I ever see another classroom after this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

My Great Work was the Jackson Pollack all along the bowl sides of the toilet about 18 minutes ago.  Beat that, Ed.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 17, 2014, 06:42:01 PM
Organic Superlube.

Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff.  You really have to keep an eye on it, though—it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 02:45:36 PM
Ok this thread has gone into a weird direction.

Btw, I am thinking of joining freemasons. :P

The Freemasons are a fine organization.  You get to do lots of charity work and you secretly rule the world.

Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down? We do, we do!
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps? We do, we do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star? We do, we do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night? We do, we do, we do!

CountDeMoney

Apparently freemasons hook each other up in the business world more than big school alumni. 

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 02:18:07 PM
Once Valmy seizes power, AI may be his biggest threat.  I can see why he mistrusts it.

Actually the entire basis of my empire will be my army of Battle Droids.  Just trying to make sure DSB doesn't beat me to it.

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2014, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 02:17:06 PM
But...but....I am literally just interested in powering things.  Providing sweet wattages to the electronic minds of our future AI masters.

Thing is, engineers design tools.  I even presented AI as a means to several ends.  That's like saying we shouldn't have drills because nobody should have taken the time to design it, as a drill (now) is just a means to an end product.

No it is not like saying that.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 02:24:25 PM
I like how this thread got hijacked into "parenting megathread".  :lol:

:unsure: Did we even have 20 posts on this topic? 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2014, 09:05:17 PM
My Great Work was the Jackson Pollack all along the bowl sides of the toilet about 18 minutes ago.  Beat that, Ed.

I've shit 5 times today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive