What is your "Great Work"?

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2014, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 01:55:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 01:27:12 PM
God, parents are so obnoxious.

Really?  Huh.  I rarely ever mention my kids around here.

It was in relation to what BB is doing here. I wasn't complaining about parenting stories.

And what exactly am I "doing here"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2014, 01:57:27 PM
Parenting is like masturbating.  It's enjoyable to you, but other people are not interested in hearing about it.

Are you female and attractive?  Then I might want to hear about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
:(  I like good stories about little kids.

My kids are pretty quirky but I have to admit I am so partisan and so biased when it comes to my kids that I do not really like sharing stories about them.  Because if the response is something other than 'that is amazing your kids are the most amazing children ever' part of me dies a bit inside :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2014, 11:39:07 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 11:33:40 AM
We should never have AIs.  Machines exist to serve humanity and relieve people and animals of tedious labor.  They are a means and should never be an ends.

Longitudinal studies.  Generational projects.  Since the ebola thread is gaining so much traction, how about a perfect quarantine with a doctor that never needs to come out the other door?  Until we have a reliable way to roll back death, there will always be a utility that can be filled by a machine not subject to human illnesses or longevity.

Sure a doctor bot that can do standard things based on inputs or is controlled remotely.  But a machine independently making subjective decisions?  Who is responsible for that machine's decisions?  Who is accountable?  We going to take the Doc Bot to court?  Society is based on human agency, human responsibility and it is run for us.  Robots and computers are going to be doing massive amounts of work in the future but in the end how those robots function and everything they do is some human's  (or groups of human's) responsibility.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 02:01:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
:(  I like good stories about little kids.

My kids are pretty quirky but I have to admit I am so partisan and so biased when it comes to my kids that I do not really like sharing stories about them.  Because if the response is something other than 'that is amazing your kids are the most amazing children ever' part of me dies a bit inside :blush:

Meh - I know my kids are (mostly) pretty average.  I just post stuff to try and bring a smile to someone's face.

On Facebook I posted a couple of pics of Andrew just deciding to put himself down for a nap.  On the floor.  Once sleeping underneath his bed.

Tracy's aunt posted "oh don't worry this is normal".  I know it's normal.  I just thought it was funny.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I am well aware on a rational level my kids are nothing special BB  :P

derspiess

I like sharing funny stuff my kids do or say, and always appreciate hearing the same from other parents.  Because that's the big payoff IMO for enduring parenting-- comedy material :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

We should never have AIs.  Machines exist to serve humanity and relieve people and animals of tedious labor.  They are a means and should never be an ends.

I really don't think you're cut out to be an engineer, Valmy.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on October 17, 2014, 02:12:22 PM

I really don't think you're cut out to be an engineer, Valmy.   :(

But...but....I am literally just interested in powering things.  Providing sweet wattages to the electronic minds of our future AI masters.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 02:12:00 PM
I like sharing funny stuff my kids do or say, and always appreciate hearing the same from other parents.  Because that's the big payoff IMO for enduring parenting-- comedy material :)

Alright I will try to say more about my kids.  I have before but there was not a whole lot of interest.  Even my totally sweet soccer playing photos.

derspiess

Once Valmy seizes power, AI may be his biggest threat.  I can see why he mistrusts it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Martinus

I like how this thread got hijacked into "parenting megathread".  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 02:24:25 PM
I like how this thread got hijacked into "parenting megathread".  :lol:

Valmy will create you some android children so you can have some of the joys of parenthood without most of the hassle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 02:17:06 PM
But...but....I am literally just interested in powering things.  Providing sweet wattages to the electronic minds of our future AI masters.

Thing is, engineers design tools.  I even presented AI as a means to several ends.  That's like saying we shouldn't have drills because nobody should have taken the time to design it, as a drill (now) is just a means to an end product.
Experience bij!