And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your "Great Work"?

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2014, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2014, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 02:17:06 PM
But...but....I am literally just interested in powering things.  Providing sweet wattages to the electronic minds of our future AI masters.

Thing is, engineers design tools.  I even presented AI as a means to several ends.  That's like saying we shouldn't have drills because nobody should have taken the time to design it, as a drill (now) is just a means to an end product.
:hmm: :huh:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
QuoteThing is, engineers design tools.  I even presented AI as a means to several ends.  That's like saying we shouldn't have drills because nobody should have taken the time to design it, as a drill (now) is just a means to an end product.

Not included in the quoted bit, he said AI should be a means and never an end.  I'll edit that for clarification.
Experience bij!

grumbler

But...but....I am literally just interested in powering things.  Providing sweet wattages to the electronic minds of our future AI masters.

Thing is, engineers design tools.  I even presented AI as a means to several ends.  That's like saying we shouldn't have drills because nobody should have taken the time to design it, as a drill (now) is just a means to an end product.

Marti has competition!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Ok this thread has gone into a weird direction.

Btw, I am thinking of joining freemasons. :P

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on October 17, 2014, 02:39:26 PM

Marti has competition!
Everyone is ignoring my entry to that competition.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 02:45:36 PM

I've had a couple of uncles who were masons, plus I attended some masonic-affiliated youth camp for a week when I was a kid.

They're a final and noble organization who does a fair bit of community work (though I don't think that's their primary purpose - still more of a social club with a side of charity).  Their "belief structure" is complete rubbish of course, but I don't think you have to treat it all that seriously.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on October 17, 2014, 02:12:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 11:33:40 AM
We should never have AIs.  Machines exist to serve humanity and relieve people and animals of tedious labor.  They are a means and should never be an ends.

I really don't think you're cut out to be an engineer, Valmy.   :(

Don't feel bad, you could always change your major to math, like this guy:

...your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Do you have nice looking knees?

Local pub here called the 'Square and Compasses', has no masonic links/connotations, actually 'originated' because of the local quarries.

But another local boozer actually has a masonic hall built into it.

And still every Friday (I think), you can see little men dressed in dark suites, carrying small suitcases (implements?)  at around 5 pm individually making their way to the meeting. 
Odd they never seem to broadcast their affiliation or knowledge of each other by arriving in small groups.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 17, 2014, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 02:24:25 PM
I like how this thread got hijacked into "parenting megathread".  :lol:

Valmy will create you some android children so you can have some of the joys of parenthood without most of the hassle.

I recommend including a mute button and a "go to sleep" feature.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 03:42:42 PM

Valmy will create you some android children so you can have some of the joys of parenthood without most of the hassle.

Self-cleaning mode would be a big feature as well.

Malthus

To actually answer the OP (yes I know, strange concept  :P ): When I was young, my "Great Work" was going to be designing a work combining philosophy and art in such a way as to move humanity in a positive direction; as I get older, the focus has narrowed; I can already look forward to the day when my "Great Work" will consist of getting out of bed.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 03:45:11 PM

The biological ones eventually grow that feature ... 'cleaning up after themselves' is a bit more of a challenge.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2014, 03:46:43 PM
To actually answer the OP (yes I know, strange concept  :P ): When I was young, my "Great Work" was going to be designing a work combining philosophy and art in such a way as to move humanity in a positive direction; as I get older, the focus has narrowed; I can already look forward to the day when my "Great Work" will consist of getting out of bed.  :D

You might enjoy Henry James's The Madonna of the Future.  It's a monument to procrastinators everywhere.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2014, 03:47:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2014, 03:45:11 PM

The biological ones eventually grow that feature ... 'cleaning up after themselves' is a bit more of a challenge.  :D

Yesterday I was at home with the boys.  Timmy goes "Daddy! Daddy! some See!" and brings me into his room.

He and his brother had cleaned up all the toys - without me asking.

On the one hand I was - very proud.   :cool:

On the other hand I wish they'd do it every day, and not act like it was some major sacrifice on their part. <_<

Jacob

Maybe you can consider it your "great work"?