News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I think about you every day, Valmy. :hug:  I think, "Gosh, I hope Valmy's okay."  "Valmy's getting a STEM degree."  "I've never been there, but I understand on an intellectual level that Texas sucks, why does he live there?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 02, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
I think about you every day, Valmy. :hug:

Awwwww :hug: Maybe I don't need some woman when I have my Languish.....nah.

QuoteI think, "Gosh, I hope Valmy's okay."  "Valmy's getting a STEM degree."

He will be doing much better once that STEM degree is finished.  43 days 3 minutes and 15 seconds to go.  Not that I am counting, I have a phone app that does that for me.

Quote"I've never been there, but I understand on an intellectual level that Texas sucks, why does he live there?"

Because Austin is a glorious place.  Why do you live in South Carolina?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 02, 2014, 05:56:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2014, 04:41:29 PM
Also if you gender flip the story and a damaged and lonely man who finds happiness because a woman shows up in his life then it is also sexist against women since this just shows women are nothing but objects to please men, devoid of their own goals and what have you.  But that might just be John Green ranting against the 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' thing and not a widespread feminist critique.

I know it was Legbiter (or was it? well some Languish misogynist) but I did like that combination chart that showed how every relationship except male homosexuality could be perceived misogynist. :lol:

Actually I believe male homosexuality is as well - as we dispense with the need for females entirely. I think Camille Paglia called it something like an ultimate feat of male narcissism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2014, 05:57:04 PM
To me it is about the level of intimacy and commitment.  My buddies, though great, are not going to give me much thought on their day to day business.  They have romantic partners and families and lives.  I am not among the most important people in their lives.  I really do better with a partner where we do have that level of investment in each other.  So I would be very unhappy without that singular romantic partner.  So that's why.  Now how universal is that?  Probably not as universal as PW thinks but who knows?  Certainly those RomComs hit a cord with somebody.

I mean I wasn't making a claim against you specifically but speaking to what PW said as far as everyone generally feeling that same way.

FWIW I love a good rom-com but it isn't because I'm waiting for my other half.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Speaking of Austin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817464/Go-ahead-call-cops-t-rape-Dash-cam-records-two-Texas-police-officers-joking-raping-woman-walking-car.html

Quote'Go ahead call the cops - they can't un-rape you': Dash cam records two Texas police officers joking about raping a woman walking by their car
Footage recorded May 24 in Austin, Texas
Two officers sitting in their car see a woman walk by
One yells out: 'Go ahead, call the cops - they can't unrape you'
The video was found by a lawyer who was investigating a car accident the officers had attending
Austin Police Department are now investigating the officers and whether they have had contact with 'victims of sexual assault' 

An internal investigation has been launched at Austin Police Department after two officers were recorded on a dashboard camera video joking about raping a woman.

In the video - taken on May 24 - the officers can be heard discussing their day and a car accident they had just attended.
When a woman walks near the car, one officer points her out to the other, who blows his whistle and yells: 'Go ahead, call the cops - they can't unrape you.'

It's unclear whether the woman heard the call.

However the first officer then remarks that the second officer had left his camera on.

Seemingly wanting to distance himself from the disturbing conversation, the first officer asks the second: 'Are you insinuating something? Are you done?'

The second then appears to storm out of the car.

The video was happened upon by a lawyer who was handling the car accident the two officers had been discussing.

Austin Police Department have since confirmed the video is authentic and released a statement saying they were investigating the two officers.

The Austin Police Department has validated the video/audio publicly released pursuant to the Texas Open Records Act,' the statement, released to Raw Story, said.

'The officers in the video/audio have been identified as Austin Police officers.

'Upon learning of the video's contents, the Department immediately launched an internal investigation.

'The investigation will include a comprehensive audit of the involved officers' contacts with victims of sexual assault to ensure the actions taken during the contacts meet the expectations of the Department, the public and most importantly, the victims.

'Upon conclusion of the investigation, the Department will take appropriate corrective action.'

Both officers in the Austin video have been placed on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The lawyer who found the video, Drew Gibbs, said he was more disturbed by the way the first officer reacted to the 'un-rape' call - by questioning whether the camera was on.

'I would hope that when a police officer observes another officer acting inappropriately, or worse, illegally, that their initial reaction would be to correct that behavior and prevent its reoccurrence,' Gibbs told Raw Story.

'Instead, it seems that all too often the reaction of many otherwise good police officers is to hide any evidence of misconduct.'

CountDeMoney

Valmy

I guess the Cops sometimes forget they are being recorded while they are on duty?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Please tell me you're not mis-characterizing my statement as suggesting that people have an "other half".

I think there is a basic human need for intimacy. A long term romantic partner is best suited for fulfilling this need, though I suppose having close familial relationships as well as casual sexual partners when the need arises can make do. (Probably best to keep those relationships separate).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2014, 06:39:21 PM
Please tell me you're not mis-characterizing my statement as suggesting that people have an "other half".

I think there is a basic human need for intimacy. A long term romantic partner is best suited for fulfilling this need, though I suppose having close familial relationships as well as casual sexual partners when the need arises can make do. (Probably best to keep those relationships separate).

While that may have been unfair, I don't really see how that is substantially different as you are still positing that most people have an intrinsic need for a long term romantic partner and that most of those who think otherwise, are deluding themselves.  Seems more like a nice to have rather than a necessity.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2014, 01:17:03 PM
Huh.  Weird I could have female heroes in fantasy games from the beginning.  Sex even being an issue at all in these games was pretty new anyway (pretty much being invented by Bioware with BG2).  I guess I hadn't noticed roleplaying games being super behind other genres or had anti-woman or sexual minority issues.  Especially CRPGs.  I mean the whole point is you can make any character you want.

How many games before Bioware allowed you to play a gay romance? Now, it is almost ubiquitous. Other genres, such as Sims, did that much earlier.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2014, 01:10:09 AM
How many games before Bioware allowed you to play a gay romance? Now, it is almost ubiquitous. Other genres, such as Sims, did that much earlier.

How many RPGs had romances between party members as part of the game before Bioware?  I mean you could have made a gay couple in Wizardry in 1979 if you wanted.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2014, 01:16:28 AM

How many RPGs had romances between party members as part of the game before Bioware?  I mean you could have made a gay couple in Wizardry in 1979 if you wanted.

Geez, you are tedious. Obviously, I meant "before Bioware started including gay romance", not "before Bioware existed". They were the first (perhaps Fable had it before).

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2014, 01:28:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2014, 01:16:28 AM

Geez, you are tedious. Obviously, I meant "before Bioware started including gay romance", not "before Bioware existed". They were the first (perhaps Fable had it before).

I see.  My apologies I did not get that.

Well let's see...skipping the games that had no romances at all and expansions we have:

Baldur's Gate II (which had a romance for female characters)
Neverwinter Nights (did this, or its expansions, have romances?)
KOTOR
Jade Empire <-had gay romance, granted it was sorta Easter Eggy

But as far as I know Baldur's Gate II was the first RPG ever to have RPG romances as we think of them today.  Granted RPGs are a conservative genre in the sense that RPG fans do not like a lot of innovations on our formula but I guess I never thought about it being conservative in the social sense.

Martinus

Well, inclusion of gay romance in Dragon Age caused quite a backlash.