News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

This has gone beyond ridiculous. They are terrorizing these women simply because they are women who game, discuss gaming, or develop games.

With the feds listening to everything we say and watching everything we do, you'd think these people would have been caught by now*.

LINK

QuoteFeminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian was forced to cancel a talk that would have taken place tonight at Utah State University after the university received a terror threat from someone claiming they would commit "the deadliest school shooting in American history" if Sarkeesian gave her lecture.

The threat, e-mailed to Utah State staff by someone purporting to be a student, stated, "I have at my disposal a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs," according to the Standard Examiner. The letter-writer warned of an attack like the Montreal massacre targeting lecture attendees, faculty, staff and the university's women's center and claimed university efforts to step up security would be fruitless.

"One way or another, I'm going to make sure they die," the letter-writer claimed.

Sarkeesian is a blogger and critic who founded the Web site Feminist Frequency, where she discusses sexist and misogynistic tropes in video games and critiques gamer culture. As escalating threats of death and rape marked Sarkeesian's tenure as a video game vlogger, she's been adamant about not allowing them to silence her.

The Utah State threat is just the latest one in the ongoing saga of Gamergate, an increasingly nasty culture war between video-game crtics like Sarkeesian and a mob of gamers. (See this post by the Post's Caitlin Dewey for more.)  Sarkeesian isn't the only woman who has received death threats in connection with Gamergate. On Friday, game developer Brianna Wu left her home after alerting police that she received a death threat that included her home address. Zoe Quinn, an independent developer who was the original target of Gamergate, was also forced to leave her home because of death threats. In August, the threats grew so severe that Sarkeesian was forced to flee her home too.

Typically, Sarkeesian does not back out of events because of threats — last month, someone threatened to bomb the Game Developers Choice Awards if they honored Sarkeesian. They proceeded anyway, under caution — and Tuesday night she clarified her reasoning for canceling the event at Utah State.

This instance was different because of Utah's concealed carry law: Anyone in the state, including college students, can carry a concealed weapon as long as they have a permit for the gun.

"To be clear: I didn't cancel my USU talk because of terrorist threats," she tweeted. "I canceled because I didn't feel the security measures were adequate."

According to university spokesman Tim Vitale, the university formulated a security plan when they knew Sarkeesian was coming, prior to her arrival. "We were going to not allow bags in at all," Vitale said. Once the threat was sent, "We added officers, both uniform and undercover, and we were going to empty the room and sweep the room [for bombs]."

However, the university didn't plan to use metal detectors or institute a temporary gun ban restricted to the confines of the lecture space. Utah State is a publicly-funded university.

When Sarkeesian arrived in Utah, campus police Capt. Steve Milne "explained by state law if someone has a legal concealed carry permit, that they were allowed by law to have that," Vitale said. "In the end, it caused her to decide to cancel the event."

The Gamergate crowd responded to news stories reporting Sarkeesian alerted authorities with accusations that she was fabricating threats to serve herself and her message. She wasn't, and law enforcement confirmed they were investigating the threats against Sarkeesian, which prompted the involvement of the FBI.

Wu was also accused of making up the threats against her, which has become a tactic to discredit the very women who are being targeted.

"I am a professional developer," Wu told Kotaku. "The quickest way I could think of to end my career and destroy my credibility would be making something like this up and getting arrested for filing a false police report."

Vitale said Milne was overwhelmed Tuesday coordinating with the Logan, Utah, police force, as well as the FBI's cyberterrorism task force and behavioral analysis unit, to track down the source of the threat and assess the probability the perpetrator would act on it.

"I've been here 17 years and I can't remember anything in this realm before," Vitale said. "We've never seen anything like this before. Logan, Utah, is a very bucolic valley. It's a quiet, peaceful place to be. We're not used to these kind of pointed and ugly threats. We don't have our heads in the sand about violence, but this is new."

*Before anyone jumps up and down and screams hyperbole, I'm joking. I know that's not what's going on.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

No idea who this gal is but it smells like a hoax.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 09:24:54 AM

QuoteThe Utah State threat is just the latest one in the ongoing saga of Gamergate, an increasingly nasty culture war between video-game critics like Sarkeesian and a mob of gamers. (See this post by the Post's Caitlin Dewey for more.)  Sarkeesian isn't the only woman who has received death threats in connection with Gamergate. On Friday, game developer Brianna Wu left her home after alerting police that she received a death threat that included her home address. Zoe Quinn, an independent developer who was the original target of Gamergate, was also forced to leave her home because of death threats. In August, the threats grew so severe that Sarkeesian was forced to flee her home too.

That's a lot of unrelated people who are participating in a hoax. I guess possible but is "gamergate" important enough for people to want to do that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh wait is gamergate just the name for all of these recent threats/online attacks?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

This whole thing has gone beyond silly.  Death threats are nothing new on the internet, but when you target people at their home adress, it denotates more seriousness in the intent.

And for what?  Because a woman is concerned about the treatment of women in video games?

Gee, talk about giving us gamers a good rep.  These idiots are just confirming the stereotype of immature young male gamers who commit violent crimes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 09:29:45 AM
Oh wait is gamergate just the name for all of these recent threats/online attacks?
yes.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 09:24:54 AM
no, it ain't, sadly, and it's not only one gal and one event.

Malthus

Sounds like "gamergate" is a 'about' group of particularly nasty and vile trolls who have found the absolute perfect victims (from their perspective): feminist computer game theorists. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
Sounds like "gamergate" is a 'about' group of particularly nasty and vile trolls who have found the absolute perfect victims (from their perspective): feminist computer game theorists.

The Jew says with a sigh of relief.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 09:51:02 AM

The Jew says with a sigh of relief.

:lol:

I'd be a lot less likely to give the trolls the public attention they clearly crave, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Wow, that's quite some nastiness being shown there; no person deserves that, irrespective of their views.
Indeed people expressing unpopular or contrary views are important both for exercising our common rights and in moving/directing public discourse.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 10:21:22 AM
Wow, that's quite some nastiness being shown there; no person deserves that, irrespective of their views.
Indeed people expressing unpopular or contrary views are important both for exercising our common rights and in moving/directing public discourse.

STFU
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Gamergate is the brilliant idea that ethnics and morals on the internet should be policed by an unaccountable and irresponsible mob.  And they wonder why it spirals out of control.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

"goes off the deep end" implies it was ever a rational "movement" to begin with.

It is not.  It's been batshit from day one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Eh there are people who have better motives who do think "gaming journalists" (aka: bloggers) should be held to an ethical standard.  Of course that is impossible.  Even so, their solution is possibly the worst one imaginable.  People are being convicted of ethics violations without the ability to fairly defend themselves and mobs of idiots are trying to punish them...and choosing the ones who most upset them emotionally.  It is kind of sad and funny to see them trying to defend this predictable train wreck.  It is not so funny to see mob justice at work though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."