News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2014, 11:29:29 AM
Same here.  I don't follow the right twitter feeds or facebook pages or something.  To me, gamergate is a badly-run Paradox Entertainment game-sales site.

Rather you do follow the right ones.  The only reason I know about it is because I am following the Pillars of Eternity development.  I just wish it would go away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2014, 11:08:03 AM
I believe Quinn admitted to having a relationship with a game reviewer from Kotaku (but, of course, so what - consenting adults and all that), but agree that the sex-for-reviews thing is proven untrue since the fellow never wrote a review of her game.

Yeah, but so what? People break up all the time and people have sex with people all the time. There's no scandal there, and frankly, who fucks whom in SF's indie game dev scene is not really anyone else's business.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 11:17:48 AM
I thought all this was over one of her online pieces on how video games positive female characters, and have game development and narrative were all directed at a single market of consumer, the adolescent male.  Or is that a different female that was threatened?

That stuff is all being conflated into one hyperfocussed misogynistic howl of shit-fuelled rage. Any woman in games saying anything about women in games in any shape or form in a public space right now is getting targeted by a coterie of hyperactive trolls.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
I believe Quinn admitted to having a relationship with a game reviewer from Kotaku (but, of course, so what - consenting adults and all that), but agree that the sex-for-reviews thing is proven untrue since the fellow never wrote a review of her game.

Yeah, but so what? People break up all the time and people have sex with people all the time. There's no scandal there, and frankly, who fucks whom in SF's indie game dev scene is not really anyone else's business.

I see you are part of the vast conspiracy to cover it all up Jake. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 11:42:20 AM
I see you are part of the vast conspiracy to cover it all up Jake.

Actually, there is a scandal - the scandal is that some whiny emo chump couldn't handle being dumped by his girlfriend and posted an emo rant on the internet; and that a bunch of idiots decided that somehow meant something other than that the whiny emo chump was a whiny emo chump.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 11:34:16 AM
That stuff is all being conflated into one hyperfocussed misogynistic howl of shit-fuelled rage. Any woman in games saying anything about women in games in any shape or form in a public space right now is getting targeted by a coterie of hyperactive trolls.

Aren't you glad you work in this industry?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 11:46:28 AM

Aren't you glad you work in this industry?

Indeed.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 10:36:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
Sounds like "gamergate" is a 'about' group of particularly nasty and vile trolls who have found the absolute perfect victims (from their perspective): feminist computer game theorists. 

Eh there are people who have better motives who do think "gaming journalists" (aka: bloggers) should be held to an ethical standard.  Of course that is impossible.  Even so, their solution is possibly the worst one imaginable.  People are being convicted of ethics violations without the ability to fairly defend themselves and mobs of idiots are trying to punish them...and choosing the ones who most upset them emotionally.  It is kind of sad and funny to see them trying to defend this predictable train wreck.  It is not so funny to see mob justice at work though.

Some kerfuffle about gamer journalists may be how this started, but by now it seems to me it is mostly continuing because some pretty nasty trolls are getting a kick out of it.

Mind you, that was probably true for most forms of vigilantism ...  ;)

I believe how it started was that one dude got dumped by a girl who is also an indie game developer. He responded like a whiny little bitch by posting allegations that she'd been sleeping with all these other guys, and that it was to get good reviews for her game. Neither of those allegations have been proven true, and the allegations of sex-for-positive-reviews were in fact shown to be untrue (the guy had never actually written a review for her game).

So while in theory there is some sort of "journalism ethics" banner being waved about (though, curiously, nothing about the thoroughly corrupt journalism surrounding AAA games, only stuff related to people who don't agree with the trolls), this whole thing started squarely with misogynistic trolling as far as I can see.

Oh my. That's even lamer than I had suspected.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

So are you agreeing with me or what?

You even used the same words I used - "but so what"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2014, 12:01:32 PM

I think YOU are agreeing with ME! :P

:hug:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2014, 12:01:32 PM

All your motives are suspect!  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 11:18:39 AM
Just stay ignorant it is a giant waste of everybody's time.

I think you're right.  I was just caught off guard by the whole thing as I haven't paid much attention to the "gaming world" lately.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on October 15, 2014, 11:20:07 AM
Jeez, Spicy, where did you leave your empathy?

Oh, wait, with your party membership.

Empathy for whom?  Please help me understand my lack of empathy in this case.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I thought all this was over one of her online pieces on how video games positive female characters, and have game development and narrative were all directed at a single market of consumer, the adolescent male.  Or is that a different female that was threatened?

So if I'm understanding these new (to me) terms correctly you are firmly on the Social Justice Warrior side in the struggle against the Misogynerds.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

So if I'm understanding these new (to me) terms correctly you are firmly on the Social Justice Warrior side in the struggle against the Misogynerds.

derspicey, I know your instincts are the same as mine, but trust me, don't bother expending one ounce of energy defending these "gamers".  Whatever you think of Zoe Quinn, or Anita Sarkeesian (and to be clear I'd never heard of either of them until this "story" broke), they didn't deserve what's happened to them.

Here's Quinn's own account of what it was like (written for cracked.com, because, well, fuck you that's why (seriously I have no idea)):

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i-learned-as-internets-most-hated-person/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.