News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on October 15, 2014, 01:27:47 PM
Nah, but Legbiter's a well known troll when it comes to women. Seems one of them hurt him once or something.

Mom?

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 11:00:00 AM

I believe how it started was that one dude got dumped by a girl who is also an indie game developer. He responded like a whiny little bitch by posting allegations that she'd been sleeping with all these other guys, and that it was to get good reviews for her game. Neither of those allegations have been proven true, and the allegations of sex-for-positive-reviews were in fact shown to be untrue (the guy had never actually written a review for her game).

So while in theory there is some sort of "journalism ethics" banner being waved about (though, curiously, nothing about the thoroughly corrupt journalism surrounding AAA games, only stuff related to people who don't agree with the trolls), this whole thing started squarely with misogynistic trolling as far as I can see.

If this is true, what a jack ass that dude was! His efforts at getting some kind of even rather than deal with things, and it all blew up to where there are death threats and possible violence. Man, what a catch he would be for some future "lucky" gal!  :thumbsdown:

CountDeMoney

No shit, right? There are always more fish in the sea, as Mom always says.  Especially the ones floating on the surface.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
No shit, right? There are always more fish in the sea, as Mom always says.  Especially the ones floating on the surface.

Great quote, especially about the ones on the surface.... 

mongers

And on a related note, good to see Languish's women contingent (all Two of you), posting several threads over the last couple of days.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 02:23:52 PM
And on a related not, good to see Languish's women contingent (all Two of you), posting several threads over the last couple of days.  :cool:

:hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2014, 02:24:23 PM
And on a related not, good to see Languish's women contingent (all Two of you), posting several threads over the last couple of days.  :cool:

Yeah.  :hug:

I tried to word that sentence so it couldn't be misconstrued, but I think some languishite will be along in a while, to pick whole with it.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on October 15, 2014, 12:59:33 PM
Saarkeesian has a legit hustle, get money from being the angry femcunt via donations, the attention that hog Quinn is getting for sleeping with all those moist-eyed herbs for her shitty "game" is baffling to me, on the other hand. Maybe just gas the entire Tumblr user base and call it a day?  :hmm:
:huh:  What the fuck? "femcunt?" "That hog Quinn?"  Your misogyny baffles me.  What the fuck is wrong with you?  What makes you think your point is enhanced by attaching this kind of spew?  If you have a point, make it without the hysterical hyperbole.  If you can't, then you should probably just STFU.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 01:25:00 PM
Stating a possibly uninformed opinion is not necessarily attention-whoring.

However, when you lace it with expressions like Leggy did it's pretty clearly attention whoring.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 02:26:34 PM

I tried to word that sentence so it couldn't be misconstrued, but I think some languishite will be along in a while, to pick whole with it.  :)

I saw it and thought how sexist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

And in related news, this shit-storm is now hitting people I'm professionally close to :(

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 12:41:01 PM
The misogynerds aren't really the developers of games, though, they're one subset of the consumers of games (plus a few culture war media trolls in it for professional reasons).

Based on all the "gender inequality in the tech industry" whining I hear about, coupled with the not baseless assertion that these trends exist in games due to more than just pandering to their audience, it sure seems like a lot of them are.  The games industry is one of the two places I associate most heavily with the "brogrammer" stereotype.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2014, 02:30:40 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on October 15, 2014, 12:59:33 PM
Saarkeesian has a legit hustle, get money from being the angry femcunt via donations, the attention that hog Quinn is getting for sleeping with all those moist-eyed herbs for her shitty "game" is baffling to me, on the other hand. Maybe just gas the entire Tumblr user base and call it a day?  :hmm:
:huh:  What the fuck? "femcunt?" "That hog Quinn?"  Your misogyny baffles me.  What the fuck is wrong with you?  What makes you think your point is enhanced by attaching this kind of spew?  If you have a point, make it without the hysterical hyperbole.  If you can't, then you should probably just STFU.

Okay, maybe it was a troll :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 02:26:34 PM

My takeaway from your post was that posting is usually too complicated a thing for the delicate feminine mind and that you were patronizingly congratulating them managing to do something we men do all the time.  Pig :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall