And we're back!

Main Menu

US Midterm Elections

Started by Jacob, September 29, 2014, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2014, 09:41:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 09:25:19 AM
Who are they? I don't generally walk around talking about who I voted for.

Do you walk around asking people what color you are? :unsure:

No people ask me. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 09:56:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 09:44:23 AM
No people ask me. :D

OMG MICROAGGRESSION

The amount of "where are you from?" (with California not being in the vein of correct answers) and "what's your nationality?" (with American not being a correct reply) that I get subjected to is a bit out of control.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Since I have a German surname everyone assumes that I was born here in Cincy and that I'm Catholic.  Plus people assume I attended a Catholic high school-- still trying to figure that one out, though a couple people say it's because of how I speak (??)

So yeah, I'm there with ya (kidding)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 10:36:07 AM
Since I have a German surname everyone assumes that I was born here in Cincy and that I'm Catholic.  Plus people assume I attended a Catholic high school-- still trying to figure that one out, though a couple people say it's because of how I speak (??)

Oh see that sort of question I'm all about. And pretty fair question for NYC where a whole chunk of us are from different places.

Oh also fun as follow-up to "where are you from" is "where are your parents/family from". California is also not the correct answer to that followup question. :weep:

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 10:42:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 10:36:07 AM

Oh see that sort of question I'm all about. And pretty fair question for NYC where a whole chunk of us are from different places.

Oh also fun as follow-up to "where are you from" is "where are your parents/family from". California is also not the correct answer to that followup question. :weep:

Do you actually consider that an offensive question?

I find it rather interesting to talk to people about their families history and how they came to the states - although absent a discernible accent you want to be careful, since it is very possible they've been in the US longer than your own family.

But I am just as likely (obviously depending on the context, vibe, relationship, setting etc) to ask the same question of someone "white" who has a noticeable marker for not being native born (like an accent).

All us white people are mostly boring, and don't even know.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Offensive, no? Tiresome, sure. After all, all of these are just beating around the push as far as wanting to ask my race and to be honest, I don't really see how or why that's relevant when I've just met someone.

If someone I know is later curious about my family history in what you're saying or even wanted to ask me about race, I don't mind.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 08:48:37 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 02, 2014, 10:46:11 PM
Looks full blown to me. Not mixed.

:huh:  Have you ever seen any actual Africans?

Before is from the Pacific Northwest.  They don't know negroes.