US Midterm Elections

Started by Jacob, September 29, 2014, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2014, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 12:32:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2014, 12:25:31 PM
Sri Lankan.  ;)

I'm kidding, but she does look more like South Asians than Africans.

I have noticed that black people are more likely correctly guess my background than other groups.

I find it hard to believe anyone can correctly guess your background what with you weekly Roulette wheel of self-identification.

That's a languish thing. I don't pretend to be different races in real life unless you count how I didn't announce my race when I first started to study hindi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2014, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 12:16:33 PM
I don't understand the question. Or perhaps better yet, what race would you consider the person in that image?
Could be anything. I thought that was the joke, actually. No one else seems to think it the least bit odd though.

Because it is pretty clear she is of African descent. Not unlike Beyonce and myself. :)

She looks mixed to me - not unlike Beyonce and you. ;) In fact, she looks just ethnic enough to not be white, but not so ethnic as to be very clearly any one particular race. Like.... a stock photo model, actually. Meant to correspond to all and offend none.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Looks full blown to me. Not mixed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Yeah, she's a genuine Wilhelmina Horton, alright.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on October 02, 2014, 10:46:11 PM
Looks full blown to me. Not mixed.

:huh:  Have you ever seen any actual Africans?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I have noticed that black people are more likely correctly guess my background than other groups.

Just throwing this out there-- is it possible that they might guess than many non-African people of color are black?  Reason I ask is that my friend's wife's sisters (Indian) are often mistaken as black by black Americans when they are in the US.  I had to explain to these girls what a relaxer is because they were asked so many times what kind they used.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 08:51:48 AM

Just throwing this out there-- is it possible that they might guess than many non-African people of color are black?  Reason I ask is that my friend's wife's sisters (Indian) are often mistaken as black by black Americans when they are in the US.  I had to explain to these girls what a relaxer is because they were asked so many times what kind they used.

Maybe as South Asian also often guess I'm South Asian. No discernible pattern in what white people guess except for never a guess of me being black.

Eddie Teach

It's cause they know you voted for Romney.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Eddie Teach

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 10:30:06 PM
Well yes mixed race blacks are less scary. -_-

To the Republican Party base, yes.

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 08:51:48 AM

Heh. My two best friends - both black - tell me all the time that I "obviously" have black in my background because my hair is coarse and kinky, and I have a very round butt. I've gone back almost 300 years on both sides and no black that I've seen yet. Not only that, but the hair and butt come directly from my dad, and his dad, and his dad's dad according to family tradition. That line came over from Wales in 1871. ie I'm Whitey ap Whiteyson but there's no convincing them. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2014, 08:59:37 AM
Didn't you? :unsure:

Who are they? I don't generally walk around talking about who I voted for.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2014, 09:01:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2014, 10:30:06 PM
Well yes mixed race blacks are less scary. -_-

To the Republican Party base, yes.

I'd say in general. Looking at black celebrities, a large amount are light-skinned.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 09:25:19 AM
Who are they? I don't generally walk around talking about who I voted for.

Do you walk around asking people what color you are? :unsure: