Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Yeah, it's not fair on Mono, it's not as if those pro-democracy rioters have to put up with that or any sort of 'abuse'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2014, 10:54:13 AM
Yeah, it's not fair on Mono, it's not as if those pro-democracy rioters have to put up with that or any sort of 'abuse'.

While it is chilling to hear someone who was educated here taking up the party line in that way, I wonder how many Languishites would do the same if put in Mono's position.

Jacob

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2014, 10:59:17 AM

While it is chilling to hear someone who was educated here taking up the party line in that way, I wonder how many Languishites would do the same if put in Mono's position.

A fair number I expect, which is probably uncontroversial. Who and for what reason is probably more contentious :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2014, 10:59:17 AM

A fair number I expect, which is probably uncontroversial. Who and for what reason is probably more contentious :)

I think you are correct.  Heck people think Fox news is news.

MadImmortalMan

It's hard to be sympathetic to somebody breaking your windows, so to speak. I find Mono's reaction completely unremarkable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2014, 02:19:07 PM
It's hard to be sympathetic to somebody breaking your windows, so to speak. I find Mono's reaction completely unremarkable.

Yes, I agree that it is hard to be sympathetic when facing down actual riots...;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2014, 02:33:48 PM

Yes, I agree that it is hard to be sympathetic when facing down actual riots...;)

Come now, those rioters recklessly opening and closing umbrellas is a pretty terrifying prospect.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

If someone were blocking the street and inconveniencing me in other ways, I'd probably be less sympathetic even if I initially agreed with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

If someone were blocking the street and inconveniencing me in other ways, I'd probably be less sympathetic even if I initially agreed with them.

Yeah, I think inconvenience is the worst evil. Much worse than losing your freedoms.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 11:06:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2014, 11:01:36 PM
If he's going to be evil, so can I.

You don't know who he is.

I don't think the biggest racist could come up with a better caricature of an Asian than Mono's Languish persona.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2014, 03:13:26 PM
Yeah, I think inconvenience is the worst evil. Much worse than losing your freedoms.

Depends on the situation, I guess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2014, 03:13:26 PM

The people who travel on that highway aren't taking away anyone's freedoms.

garbon

I went back and looked at how we treated OWS: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6092.0.html

While I made a few negative comments (both about their desire to make a sustainable park community and them marching illegally on the Brooklyn Bridge), it looks like at least for the first 50 pages, the thread was best summarized as:

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 11, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
EUOT occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about the best way to re-distribute rich peoples' money. Languish occupy thread degenerates into flamewar about commercial use of the word "champagne" and the relative merits of high-quality sparkling wines.
:D

Also, I wonder how Mono would deal with it if his rioters had done the following:

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 11:51:17 PM
Lovely, one of the protesters created an art...piece that features a rotting pig head. She 'sprayed some stuff on it to keep the flies away but its definitely rotting'.

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 03:45:55 PM
Different note, I heard that some OWS types rioted on my home street in SF last Tuesday. Took out some glass windows of small business fronts. :(

Or this! :angry:

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2011, 11:46:32 AM
Now they're messing with my shows! :angry:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/occupy-wall-street-protesters-shut-law-order-svu-set-depicting-ows-article-1.989070

QuoteMore than 100 Occupy Wall Street demonstrators stormed the set for "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" across from the Manhattan State Supreme Courthouse, shutting down production of an OWS-themed episode.

"We made it so that they could not exploit us and that's awesome," said Tammy Schapiro, 29, of Brooklyn.

The protesters arrived around midnight at Foley Square and roamed around the park inspecting tents and signs built by the production company.

"This is not us," said Drew Hornbein, 24, of Brooklyn Heights. "We are not part of corporate TV America."

Some of the set signs read "End War on Workers" "Greed No" and "War Profiteers."

About 100 police officers lined the perimeter of the production, preventing protesters from getting too close.

"It's hysterical," Hornbein said. "Two weeks ago they kicked us out of Zuccotti Park. Now they have this set trying to pretend it's us. It's odd."

After midnight, a police officer on a bullhorn announced that the film permit had been rescinded by the city, which drew cheers from the crowd.

Cops then threatened to arrest them if they did not leave the park. After a momentary standoff, police moved in and dispersed the crowd.

"This is bastardization going on. This is not the case of imitation is a form of flattery," said a man identified as Scooby 49. "This is insulting."

The production crew moved in and started dismantling the set.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Any moment now the fact that OWS wasn't brutally suppressed will mean that the US government will completely collapse.