Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 08:22:37 PM
:shakeshead:

Today's economics taught at the collegiate level since WW2 has been broken, bereft of a moral compass or even a passing acknowledgement of ethics, and you fucking know it.  So don't even try to defend a model predicated on greed and avarice.

Fucking Gordon Gekko fanboi.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 08:41:46 PM
Today's economics taught at the collegiate level since WW2 has been broken, bereft of a moral compass or even a passing acknowledgement of ethics, and you fucking know it.  So don't even try to defend a model predicated on greed and avarice.

I disagree.  I think that the study of economics is descriptive.  It's the MBAs themselves who are without a trace of ethics.  It's not that the study of economics makes one bad, it's that bad, petty people who thirst for authority without responsibility are attracted to MBAs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 04, 2011, 08:48:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 08:41:46 PM

I disagree.  I think that the study of economics is descriptive.  It's the MBAs themselves who are without a trace of ethics.  It's not that the study of economics makes one bad, it's that bad, petty people who thirst for authority without responsibility are attracted to MBAs.

Bah.  It all sucks.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2011, 08:32:00 PM
How did you take to be force fed Marx?

Huh?

Sorry about that.  "Be" should be "being".

In other words, how did you take paying money to be taught something you believe to be fundamentally wrong?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2011, 08:05:36 PMI figure 5-10% is a good rough approximation of the students majoring in neo-Marxist oppression majors like womens' studies, black studies, and sociology.
I don't entirely know why but this reminds me of that Scots' Calvinist fear that someone somewhere is having fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Warspite

If Greg Mankiw is still giving Econ 10, then the students may have a point.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on December 05, 2011, 05:18:49 AM

The article was written by Mankiw about his Econ 10 class.

What's your knock on Mankiw?

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2011, 05:20:29 AM
Quote from: Warspite on December 05, 2011, 05:18:49 AM

The article was written by Mankiw about his Econ 10 class.

What's your knock on Mankiw?

He's a douche.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Now they're messing with my shows! :angry:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/occupy-wall-street-protesters-shut-law-order-svu-set-depicting-ows-article-1.989070

QuoteMore than 100 Occupy Wall Street demonstrators stormed the set for "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" across from the Manhattan State Supreme Courthouse, shutting down production of an OWS-themed episode.

"We made it so that they could not exploit us and that's awesome," said Tammy Schapiro, 29, of Brooklyn.

The protesters arrived around midnight at Foley Square and roamed around the park inspecting tents and signs built by the production company.

"This is not us," said Drew Hornbein, 24, of Brooklyn Heights. "We are not part of corporate TV America."

Some of the set signs read "End War on Workers" "Greed No" and "War Profiteers."

About 100 police officers lined the perimeter of the production, preventing protesters from getting too close.

"It's hysterical," Hornbein said. "Two weeks ago they kicked us out of Zuccotti Park. Now they have this set trying to pretend it's us. It's odd."

After midnight, a police officer on a bullhorn announced that the film permit had been rescinded by the city, which drew cheers from the crowd.

Cops then threatened to arrest them if they did not leave the park. After a momentary standoff, police moved in and dispersed the crowd.

"This is bastardization going on. This is not the case of imitation is a form of flattery," said a man identified as Scooby 49. "This is insulting."

The production crew moved in and started dismantling the set.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Scooby 49 belongs here with Lettow, warmongers, and Count.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Warspite on December 05, 2011, 05:33:14 AM
He's a douche.

Is this based on personal contact or a reaction to his textbook, writings, commentary, etc?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2011, 11:46:32 AM
Now they're messing with my shows! :angry:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/occupy-wall-street-protesters-shut-law-order-svu-set-depicting-ows-article-1.989070

QuoteMore than 100 Occupy Wall Street demonstrators stormed the set for "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" across from the Manhattan State Supreme Courthouse, shutting down production of an OWS-themed episode.

"We made it so that they could not exploit us and that's awesome," said Tammy Schapiro, 29, of Brooklyn.

The protesters arrived around midnight at Foley Square and roamed around the park inspecting tents and signs built by the production company.

"This is not us," said Drew Hornbein, 24, of Brooklyn Heights. "We are not part of corporate TV America."

Some of the set signs read "End War on Workers" "Greed No" and "War Profiteers."

About 100 police officers lined the perimeter of the production, preventing protesters from getting too close.

"It's hysterical," Hornbein said. "Two weeks ago they kicked us out of Zuccotti Park. Now they have this set trying to pretend it's us. It's odd."

After midnight, a police officer on a bullhorn announced that the film permit had been rescinded by the city, which drew cheers from the crowd.

Cops then threatened to arrest them if they did not leave the park. After a momentary standoff, police moved in and dispersed the crowd.

"This is bastardization going on. This is not the case of imitation is a form of flattery," said a man identified as Scooby 49. "This is insulting."

The production crew moved in and started dismantling the set.

Good.  The Rape Show sucks anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

SVU gives me a boner when they have the east European maid episodes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I died a long time ago.  But you'll go on reading my screeds and one-liners anyway.  It is the nature of things.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)