And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grallon on September 17, 2014, 06:34:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 06:13:04 PM
So in your crazy worldview, saying something is not polite is equivalent to a desire to regulate something, kind of like how not being able to offer French equally at all times is the same as it being English 100% of the time?

I agree that there really isn't anything more for you to say - you should go back to BERKUT IS RACIST! It was a much more coherent position that this.

You definitely are an imbecile.

Viper do stop allowing yourself to be dragged down to his level - it's unsightly!  I cannot for the life of me understand what you're trying to accomplish by arguing with these conceited mules.

G.

Viper likes to argue and our language issue brings out the best in him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on September 17, 2014, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Are you new here? Have you not interacted with Viper before?
:face:  You are one of the reasons I am pretty cool with French Canada doing pretty much what they think they should do.  I have a sneaking suspicion that you are more representative than M. Incomprehensible and M. Raging Asshole.

Thanks, I think.  :)

crazy canuck

The fact that French immersion classes are heavily oversubscribed in this Province is in the news again. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2014, 03:01:12 PM
The fact that French immersion classes are heavily oversubscribed in this Province is in the news again. 
because of inadequate public funding resulting in cuts to public education services.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2014, 06:29:19 PM
I'd think it should be up to the workplace as long as whatever was decided, wasn't decided out of discriminatory reasons.
It's not like bilinguism is forbidden.  But asking for bilinguism everywhere is discriminatory.  Of course, if the majority of us would be bilingual, it wouldn't be a problem, but we're not there yet.

But having a workspace in your own language is nice.  If I'm to move in the US, I'll expect to work in english.  I doubt Berkut's employer is forcing the employees to use French exlusively from lower management and up.  Yet it was the norm in Quebec, before language laws, that any management position, from foreman and up, would be in english for most of the bigger corporations.

In these situations, you have a vicious circle.  People are unable to get a decent job if they don't speak english perfectly and they are unable to pursue higher education to learn english & the required skills if they are unable to get a decent job.  You end up with a lower working class significantly poorer than the foreign cultural elite and you severly restrict class mobility.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2014, 08:01:05 PM
because of inadequate public funding resulting in cuts to public education services.

I'm surprised to hear you make a Teachers' Union argument like that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2014, 08:01:05 PM

Rather it is because of a lack of qualified french teachers.  At a time when enrolment in the public school system is shrinking (mainly because of demographics) enrolment in french immersion has increased by 14%.  The system just cant keep up with the demand.

Grey Fox

All the Chinese kids are signing up to become government employees?

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2014, 08:08:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2014, 06:29:19 PM
I'd think it should be up to the workplace as long as whatever was decided, wasn't decided out of discriminatory reasons.
It's not like bilinguism is forbidden.  But asking for bilinguism everywhere is discriminatory. 

Does that include insisting that, say, all officers in the Canadian military be bilingual, rather than just speaking English?

Or insisting that all federal employees be bilingual?

Or is it only discriminatory to ask French speakers to be bilingual, but is actually discriminatory to NOT ask English speakers to be bilingual in those positions?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 02, 2014, 06:05:55 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 01, 2014, 09:27:43 PM

Trying to stir shit again you bovine oaf?  <_<

G.

Actually that'd be viper who responded to a comment I made several weeks ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on October 01, 2014, 09:27:43 PM
Does that include insisting that, say, all officers in the Canadian military be bilingual, rather than just speaking English?
Where do you get that?

Or insisting that all federal employees be bilingual?
Where do you get that?

Or is it only discriminatory to ask French speakers to be bilingual, but is actually discriminatory to NOT ask English speakers to be bilingual in those positions?
Where do you get that?