News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

:yes: English is the language of science, engineering, business etc. Shocking, I know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2014, 03:29:53 PM
:yes: English is the language of science, engineering, business etc. Shocking, I know.

You are just a racist, bitter about Iraq war.  :homestar:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2014, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 03:17:01 PM
Your francophilia keeps preventing me from successfully trolling Duque.  :secret:

Sorry :blush:

Don't be so hard on yourself, Martinus' trolling was sub-par, by his standards. (added before he gets mad at me).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 03:19:51 PM
He was in Amsterdam, not Paris (no legal pot there).  :contract: ;)

He lived in Amsterdam. For three years. Naturally, he visited Paris.  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pkq_eBHXJ4
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 03:30:46 PM

Is this really relevant?

Malthus

The birth of a new Languish meme is a beautiful thing.  :cry:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

Is this really relevant?

How could it not be relevant?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2014, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

Is this really relevant?

How could it not be relevant?

Bitch, be cool.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 12:50:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2014, 10:55:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2014, 10:06:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2014, 02:50:44 AM
If I am in a company of people where everybody speaks one language and then only some of those present also speak another language, I just find it impolite to start talking in the language not everyone in the group understands - this goes both for speaking Polish in an English speaking group where not everyone understands Polish, and vice versa.
So, you infringe on people's individual rights.  How intolerant of you.

:huh:

I was wondering about this too. Viper is so ridiculous, it is not clear when he is serious or sarcastic.  :lol:
I was half joking, but you want to regulate private conversations that does not concern you.  That beyond silly.
Can't attach much credibility to anything you say when you hold that kind of view.

Honestly, in a casual conversation, if two people want to speak Russian to each another while another group uses English or French, I don't care at all.

If it's a business meeting, than things are entirely different then. French should be the language of choice in Quebec, for the working environment, english speakers should not imposed their ways on us, simple.

There's a big difference in using english for everything when there's one anglo in the group (the reverse would never happen) and communicating with other branches of your company outside the province, or talking to clients.

If you guys can't understand this basic difference, then there's nothing more for me to say.  You find it silly I want a french working place in a state where the majority of the people are french speakers and I find it silly that you want to regulate casual conversation because you find them rude if you don't all speak the same language.

I'm not paranoid enough to believe every foreign language conversation is about me.   :huh:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

So in your crazy worldview, saying something is not polite is equivalent to a desire to regulate something, kind of like how not being able to offer French equally at all times is the same as it being English 100% of the time?

I agree that there really isn't anything more for you to say - you should go back to BERKUT IS RACIST! It was a much more coherent position that this.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Are you new here? Have you not interacted with Viper before?
:face:  You are one of the reasons I am pretty cool with French Canada doing pretty much what they think they should do.  I have a sneaking suspicion that you are more representative than M. Incomprehensible and M. Raging Asshole.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2014, 05:50:28 PM
You find it silly I want a french working place in a state where the majority of the people are french speakers

I'd think it should be up to the workplace as long as whatever was decided, wasn't decided out of discriminatory reasons.

Grallon

Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 06:13:04 PM
So in your crazy worldview, saying something is not polite is equivalent to a desire to regulate something, kind of like how not being able to offer French equally at all times is the same as it being English 100% of the time?

I agree that there really isn't anything more for you to say - you should go back to BERKUT IS RACIST! It was a much more coherent position that this.

You definitely are an imbecile.

Viper do stop allowing yourself to be dragged down to his level - it's unsightly!  I cannot for the life of me understand what you're trying to accomplish by arguing with these conceited mules.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel