News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:01:37 PM
While Marty may not care much about being overcharged, I'm sure he can read the prices on the menu.

He can read but can he understand? Seems not, judging by his posting.
It's not like he has any accurate idea about average prices in France or Paris, or much else, except maybe trolling and parroting some anti-French bigotry.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 01:43:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
I just wish they would send me to Paris for a meeting or something.

I was in Paris on business two weeks ago. I made sure to order a burger with fries at a restaurant.

Bah, just another idiot tourist getting overcharged. Probably paid by the company. Move along.

You and viper spouting insults without provocation is actually quite funny.

So now Viper is not only a Frenchman, but a Parisian as well? That's über-Berkutesque.

Eddie Teach

Are burgers that expensive in France? Typically they're one of the cheaper entrees available in American restaurants.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:08:59 PM
Are burgers that expensive in France? Typically they're one of the cheaper entrees available in American restaurants.

Not sure. The hotel was EUR 500 a night, so the burger did not seem that expensive in comparison.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 02:07:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2014, 01:43:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
I just wish they would send me to Paris for a meeting or something.

I was in Paris on business two weeks ago. I made sure to order a burger with fries at a restaurant.

Bah, just another idiot tourist getting overcharged. Probably paid by the company. Move along.

You and viper spouting insults without provocation is actually quite funny.

So now Viper is not only a Frenchman, but a Parisian as well? That's über-Berkutesque.
:hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:08:59 PM

Martinus going to a cheap place, selecting a cheap entrée on a business trip? Now that's the worst possible insult to him.  I wouldn't dare. :D

It's Paris, so it can be expensive. Could be an overpriced and overated bobo/hipster place. "Food trucks" are popular among them for instance.
François Hollande managed to pay 140 euros for a salad there http://www.le-laurent.com/uk/
http://www.le-laurent.com/maj/pdf/Carte_3_janvier_2012_AVEC_prix_SOIR.pdf
Just to give you an idea, but Bernard-Henry Lévy probably helped him, if you worry about French taxpayer money being mispent.
They don't sell burgers there though.

So for a burger, in west Paris ("bourgeois" area but outside of the Champs-Élysée golden mile) I see for instance this Schwartz's Deli (perfect for Languish) with burgers between 12-24 euros. I'm sure you can pay more.

Eddie Teach

I'm just wondering how you gathered he was overcharged simply from getting a burger and fries.

garbon

Besides, why should someone care if they were "overcharged"? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:31:00 PM
I'm just wondering how you gathered he was overcharged simply from getting a burger and fries.
That is far from the most fantastic leap of logic going on.

Duque de Bragança

He's a tourist, doesn't know the area, it's Paris where everything is expensive (even normal prices are seen as overcharging), a tourist destination and last but not least that's a Parisian thing to despise tourists.  :frog:
A cliché if you will, like the rude garçon etc.
Get it?

Eddie Teach

You were offended by his declaration that he had a hamburger in Paris and decided to troll him in response...

I am of course offended by your taking offense. Hamburgers are awesome. :mad:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2014, 02:43:46 PM
You were offended by his declaration that he had a hamburger in Paris and decided to troll him in response...

Why should I? That's a very bobo and hipster thing to do so that fits perfectly Martinus. :)

I am of course offended by your taking offense. Hamburgers are awesome. :mad:

Calm down. Never said that. Or, à la Languish, strawman!

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2014, 02:39:33 PM

He's a tourist, doesn't know the area, it's Paris where everything is expensive (even normal prices are seen as overcharging), a tourist destination and last but not least that's a Parisian thing to despise tourists.  :frog:
A cliché if you will, like the rude garçon etc.
Get it?

I wasn't a tourist. I was there on business. We were taken to a dinner by the client.  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 17, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
This is, of course, really inconvenient since I hate the French so much...:lmfao:

Damn ingrate.  They give you a job and pay your salary and you respond with bigoted hatred.  The racist perfidy of you Anglos never ceases to disgust me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

What is the big deal about having a hamburger and fries in Paris?  I certainly saw plenty of French people doing that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."