8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Warspite on September 18, 2014, 06:33:28 AM
If you were registered at a parents' address, then easy enough. No one checks if you really live at an address. I was eligible to vote in two constituencies in 2010.  :lol:

:lmfao:
Bodes well for recounting issues if the result is tight.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2014, 08:10:33 AM
You guys take this awfully lightly. 300 years old country destroyed (yes, destroyed) because people dislike the "bedroom tax"

Also, if based on this, City of London would decide that they'd rather suffocate in their piles of cash instead of financing the rest of the UK's existence and opted for independence or some sort of city state status, would that be also fine to decide on a 50% vote? Where does this thing stop?

Countries come & go.

You will still enjoy the freedom of London when Scotland is an independant country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 07:53:40 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 16, 2014, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 07:16:02 AM
48 hours to save the Union.  :cry:

Indeed, this is getting kind of scary, eh? The breakup of the UK?  :(

Primary feeling for me is oddness, it'll be very odd if this goes through.

Perhaps a bit like if Washington, Oregon, Idaho and the Dakotas all have a vote on exiting the USA?

Cascadia4Life

sbr

Jacob

Quote from: Warspite on September 18, 2014, 08:15:42 AM
You guys take this awfully lightly. 300 years old country destroyed (yes, destroyed) because people dislike the "bedroom tax"

Also, if based on this, City of London would decide that they'd rather suffocate in their piles of cash instead of financing the rest of the UK's existence and opted for independence or some sort of city state status, would that be also fine to decide on a 50% vote? Where does this thing stop?

If it got to the point where Londoners had developed their own governing institutions, political boundaries and such a strong identity to the point where they felt it necessary to dissolve their bonds with the rest of England, then yes I don't see why not.

I think - no matter the outcome - that this is a testament to British character and democracy. It's how it's supposed to work.

derspiess

I'm guessing there aren't any exit polls being published before the voting finishes?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

The general election next year is certainly going to be rather interesting, regardless of the referendum vote.

I'm hoping that the referendum will prove to be the catalyst that moves us on from a rather stale period in British politics.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 18, 2014, 09:45:06 AM

If it got to the point where Londoners had developed their own governing institutions, political boundaries and such a strong identity to the point where they felt it necessary to dissolve their bonds with the rest of England, then yes I don't see why not.

I think - no matter the outcome - that this is a testament to British character and democracy. It's how it's supposed to work.

Sure but then I also see it as a testament that the UK failed at establishing a solid British identity. I guess that's also a testament to British character but not in a good vein. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

IDK. when 50% of the 10% of the country's population can drastically alter the country at a whim, well, that doesn't reflect that positively.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2014, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 18, 2014, 09:45:06 AM

Sure but then I also see it as a testament that the UK failed at establishing a solid British identity. I guess that's also a testament to British character but not in a good vein. :D

Scotland and England will continue to exist, with free movement of people and capital and goods across the border. In that sense, there will be little reason for British identity to not exist. We will continue to speak a common language, share a common intellectual heritage, and hold broadly common political views.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2014, 10:06:57 AM
IDK. when 50% of the 10% of the country's population can drastically alter the country at a whim, well, that doesn't reflect that positively.

I don't see how the Scots are drastically altering England.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Quote from: Warspite on September 18, 2014, 10:11:03 AM

Scotland and England will continue to exist, with free movement of people and capital and goods across the border.

Sure about that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2014, 09:31:53 AM

Countries come & go.

You will still enjoy the freedom of London when Scotland is an independant country.

That is actually highly uncertain. With Scotland being much more pro-EU than the rest of Britain, with Scotland gone, it is quite likely that the UK will vote to leave the EU in the referendum planned for 2016 (or was it 2017). Since Tamas's stay in London is based on the EU treaty's free movement of workers (something that is quite resented in Britain, especially when it comes to CEE migrants), it is quite possible that he will be told to leave once the UK leaves the EU.