News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warehousing the oldsters

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 19, 2014, 09:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
Mom is surprisingly amenable to that solution. June Lake is pretty nice, but it's a camping place. I didn't expect mom to be cool about it.

I think I need more ideas because mine are too confined now.

It really depends on the person obviously. But there are benefits to a retirement community. My grandfather went into a highrise retirement community and began having a really good time with all the social activities. For the same reasons moving to Florida or Arizona isn't the worst idea in the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 19, 2014, 12:23:43 PM
Two years ago, my mom, at the age of 70, informed me that she was selling my childhood home, her car, and everything she owned and moving to Florida. If I wanted anything, I was to get it before the move date two months out. :blink:

I got grandma's china and silver, some old family pictures and news articles, and a hug good-bye. :cry:

To Florida?  Well I guess when you live in Iowa it doesn't seem so bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 09:43:26 AM
I can get a nice place in Cabo for 70k. Even at the minimum SSA she might be able to afford that if she took on the occasional AirBNB thing.

If I'm not mistaken, Medicare doesn't work overseas.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

I'll put her in a country with free health care. Spain is pretty cheap right now.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

This sounds really odd to me.  In HK, the seniors help house the young.  Housing is so expensive that 90%+ of the 20-somethings have no hope of buying a flat.  Seniors should have their own flats by the time they become seniors. 

MadImmortalMan

It's not an American thing, Mono. My family is a very special case.  :lol:

Caliga

I think you should send her to a senior living community.  I don't know if this is the best choice for her, but it's the best choice for me financially. :shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Cal my mother in law is a care person for your company.  :lol:

It's fine, and she hasn't worked in decades, but hey.

I could not do the caring for people schtick. I just can't. Some people can. Good for them.

I want out of this trap. I've been doing it my whole life and I just want to escape. Please can I for once let it all go and not worry that I'm starving my parents? Can somebody take this awful thing from me?

The answer is no, and it's my problem as long as they live. Jerks.

:P

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 20, 2014, 06:12:34 AM

It's fine, and she hasn't worked in decades, but hey.

I could not do the caring for people schtick. I just can't. Some people can. Good for them.

I want out of this trap. I've been doing it my whole life and I just want to escape. Please can I for once let it all go and not worry that I'm starving my parents? Can somebody take this awful thing from me?

The answer is no, and it's my problem as long as they live. Jerks.

:P

:hug:

You're a good man, MiM. I know that doesn't help, but you should still hear it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 20, 2014, 01:03:23 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

I'll put her in a country with free health care. Spain is pretty cheap right now.  :P

I remember seeing some news story about American retirees in Mexico and it said their medical coverage cost about $400/year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

You're thinking of my old employer.  My new employer only owns senior living communities, it doesn't operate them. :sleep:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2014, 07:53:00 PM
You're thinking of my old employer.  My new employer only owns senior living communities, it doesn't operate them. :sleep:

Still you might have hired the people that work there.

"Three years experience in 'internal action learning' and attended workshops in 'strategic planess'?  You are hired!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Are you kidding?  I don't now and have never hired grunts. :)

Razgovory

Of course not.  You were "actualizing strategic potential".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I don't utilize use corporate buzzwords, son.