News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warehousing the oldsters

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 19, 2014, 09:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

It's probably not a huge thing yet, but I am in the position where I'm essentially responsible for getting the older generation in some sort of responsible housing. Not in my home.

Am I the Gen X/Y pioneer in this?

I checked the housing prices in Dayton, Columbus and where my brother lives in Indiana. Essentially, I can buy my mother a whole damn neighborhood at those prices. But what then?

My mom would rather have an RV and live at June Lake.

What about that whole lifetime of things you collected mom? What about your obsessive hoarding of anything of sentimental value, mom?

Well, you can just store that until your brothers are ready to take what they want.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, while I set fire to my mother and all her belongings.

I can get a nice place in Cabo for 70k. Even at the minimum SSA she might be able to afford that if she took on the occasional AirBNB thing. I'm trying very hard to love my mother, but this is like the seven hundred thousandth dollar I'm tossing in the ring for her...

Anyone shoved their loved ones overseas? Or found a way to murder them without incident? PM me por favor.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

For some reason I thought the thread would be about storing classic cars.  :hmm:

On topic, it has come or will come to most of us, no useful advice.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

My Dad, an independent sort, got his whole senior thing going himself.  He lives in the convection oven that is known as Cathedral City.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2014, 09:50:28 AM

Some of you guys are much older than me. There must be some experience here.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 09:53:46 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2014, 09:50:28 AM

Some of you guys are much older than me. There must be some experience here.

Experience, but no useful advice.

I think each situation/senior/parent differs too much to draw any guidance. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

An RV at June Lake sounds cool.

I've been trying to convince my father to get a condo in my complex for a few years. Since the prices have disintegrated he could get one super cheap. But he doesn't want to live in Atlanta. I don't know how long it will be tenable for him to live on his own though.

He also has the opposite storage thought process on sentimental items. I've gotten calls, "I had to throw out all your old video games and gi joes. Had to cut down on the clutter." You live alone in a 5 bedroom house and they were neatly in a couple of boxes in the garage.  :mad:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

My dad would kick my ass if I even hinted at him going into one of those retirement "communities".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I was over there yesterday. Mom was watching the black church channel, which means crazy antics and baptist baptist baptist.

My mother was kicked out of a black baptist church in Indiana because she was white. This was in the 60s. Yeah that kind of shit happened too.

I think my mom always wanted to be in on that shit. Our whole life she kept telling us about it, but when the time came, we were too white. I didn't really get that as a ten year old. If I wanted to go to church I had to be an oppressor. I can't be one of the good guys. I'd rather watch Star Trek. Thanks mom.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2014, 10:01:56 AM
An RV at June Lake sounds cool.

Mom is surprisingly amenable to that solution. June Lake is pretty nice, but it's a camping place. I didn't expect mom to be cool about it.

I think I need more ideas because mine are too confined now.

The Brain

Lowest bidder will get my parents when the time comes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

At 69, pending any significant health concerns, my parents think they've got close to 10 years of independent living left in them.  I dunno about that.  Between Dad's forgetfulness and Mom's broken down body, I think they need to consider a senior-centered community.

Mom wants a smaller place, one floor.  Dad wants to stay in the house until they cart him out, and doesn't want shit to do with anybody else.  Unfortunately, that would leave me with no place to go, since as a member of the 44-and-older demographic conveniently ignored by the greater economy, as I will never regain decent professional employment ever again.

I'm glad my sister married into money so she can deal with all this bullshit.

Barrister

Neither my parents or my in-laws are there quite yet, but it has crossed my mind.

I do have to say you're more generous with your mom than I would be in the circumstances.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 09:43:26 AM
What about that whole lifetime of things you collected mom? What about your obsessive hoarding of anything of sentimental value, mom?

Well, you can just store that until your brothers are ready to take what they want.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, while I set fire to my mother and all her belongings.
It's the new of life, I guess.  When I was young, I remember my uncles&aunts leaving stuff at their parents house.  And now it seems, it's the parents leaving their thrash at ther kid's house.  For fuck sake, he's got 3 garages, 1 warehouse, 1 small shed and that's still not enough room, I am supposed to live with all his stuff filling my very small-ish garage and my basement.

I tried to clean it up twice, the first time it all ended back here, the second time, he at least kept it in his new place, but I still got a lot of stuff.  And he complains I use too much space because I keep my electronic boxes!

Damn old folks! :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Two years ago, my mom, at the age of 70, informed me that she was selling my childhood home, her car, and everything she owned and moving to Florida. If I wanted anything, I was to get it before the move date two months out. :blink:

I got grandma's china and silver, some old family pictures and news articles, and a hug good-bye. :cry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...