25 (30.5%)
Ja:ron
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 02:58:05 PM
of course. wasn't the ban over a single private message? iirc, it contained a threat, but posters have threatened people on the open board before without repercussion.
The threat was just the final straw.  The man has some serious issues, and was tempbanned repeatedly before the final fatal plunge.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2014, 03:12:14 PMThe threat was just the final straw.  The man has some serious issues, and was tempbanned repeatedly before the final fatal plunge.

well, i know he tended to react with hostility, and he insulted posters. even if he was the most volatile poster, i don't recall too many posts that were grossly out of line. general dislike for him coupled with the threat seemed to be the cause, but if that was the case then it seems a little overreactive given languish's history. maybe he was a lot worse in tbr, though

Legbiter

The man had massive, drunken meltdowns twice a week for years. The fact he lasted as long as he did was that nobody took him very seriously shall we say and he had to really exert himself to be kicked out. Sure, with the passage of time his antics take on a tinge of nostalgia but if he's the same loser as he was he'll just go back to being the ragey bitch that he was in the end.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 03:19:39 PM
well, i know he tended to react with hostility, and he insulted posters. even if he was the most volatile poster, i don't recall too many posts that were grossly out of line. general dislike for him coupled with the threat seemed to be the cause, but if that was the case then it seems a little overreactive given languish's history. maybe he was a lot worse in tbr, though

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.  Are you arguing that all of the temp-bans and the permaban were an over-reaction, or just the temp-bans, or just the perma-ban?

I'm not sure that "I don't recall the behavior that got him banned so many times" constitutes very persuasive evidence for an argument that he was a victim of over-reaction.

Mind, I am not arguing against his reinstatement.  I am just wondering what argument you are trying to make, because the apparent argument doesn't seem to make sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2014, 04:00:50 PMI am just wondering what argument you are trying to make, because the apparent argument doesn't seem to make sense.

i was just curious as to why he was banned, if there was another reason other than what i saw of his posts + the threat. legbiter provided a persuasive perspective, though.

DGuller

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2014, 04:00:50 PMI am just wondering what argument you are trying to make, because the apparent argument doesn't seem to make sense.

i was just curious as to why he was banned, if there was another reason other than what i saw of his posts + the threat. legbiter provided a persuasive perspective, though.
It wasn't a threat, it was encouraging a poster to commit suicide.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2014, 04:16:42 PM

Hmm. that's rather despicable behavior, what you'd expect from a chicken-shit bully.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

ah, i forgot about that. raz never took martinus seriously, though.

a threat v. encouraging someone to commit suicide. i'm not sure if one is worse than the other.  :hmm:

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on August 09, 2014, 04:21:41 PM

Hmm. that's rather despicable behavior, what you'd expect from a chicken-shit bully.

He'd still not have gotten banned if it could have been shrugged away as drunkenness and had it not come at the end of a long, long, LONG psychodrama.

Hell, at this stage in the game Languish is nothing if not tolerant of it's members...quirks shall we say.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,9933.0.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Okay.  Looking back at the threads about it, there was more opposition to banning him than I remembered, so I understand your position better, now.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on August 09, 2014, 04:21:41 PM

Lets not be so judgmental. Encouraging people to try new things is generally a good thing to do.

I admit that encouraging people to try suicide usually isn't seen positively. But maybe martinus was trying to be nice, and seeing how that is new to him, the results came out a bit awkwardly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

LaCroix

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 02:58:05 PM
of course. wasn't the ban over a single private message? iirc, it contained a threat, but posters have threatened people on the open board before without repercussion.

Now I've wished all sorts of death on posters over the years:  told Timmay to die out in traffic, among other methods;  told Mono I can't wait untilwe glass him with US nuclear weapons in the Limited Nuclear Exchange of 2028;  told derspiess not to fuck it up when he accidentally shoots himself in the head;  and pretty much told all of you to disappear collectively in a Malaysian airliner. 

But I always drew the line at suicide.  That's just in bad taste.   :mad:

edit:  maybe I told Lettow to kill himself.  I dunno, kid's hardheaded.