News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[board] Pax Brittanica

Started by Tamas, June 11, 2009, 04:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

I count three guys who own the game but don't want to play it, that's slightly ominous.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Quote from: Delirium on June 12, 2009, 02:22:50 AM
I count three guys who own the game but don't want to play it, that's slightly ominous.

:lol:

it's not like you have an abundance of games about great power conflicts of 1880-1914, so I think we should give this one a try.

Tamas

People should read these rules:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24545

I nominate Habs to be nominal GM.

Delirium

I was just going to ask which rules we would use. As long as we use the same ones we should be okay.  :P
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Okay I read the rules, it does not include specific administration calculations, but those are present in habbaku's paper-based rulebook, and are supposedly handled automatically by the excel spreadsheet we will be using.

I am eager to decide who plays what so the 7th should apply asap!

Delirium

Habs thought Berk might play, obviously not a 100% guarantee, but still.

You could randomize countries for the six of us and then number 7 will get what's left.

Delirium

Tamas

I think we should just leave Italy to be last country of choice, in case we don't get a 7th.

For the lurkers: victory determination goes as follows: you get income from each area you have some degree of control in (from interest through influence and protectorate etc. to control), depending on that degree of control and the area itself. End of each turn, the amount of money you are left with is divided with your VP divider (depending on country), and you get the result as VP. So an Italy or Japan playing slow -in theory- should not get behind in the VP race while the big ones are scrambling to build and conquer stuff.
You also get bonus VPs for stuff like a north-south or west-east route accross Africa, and building the Panama Canal.

So, using the ACTS dice thrower, I will distribute the countries.
Order of players are:
Tamas, Viking, Ulmont, Grumbler. Delirium, Habbaku

Order of countries:
UK, France, Germany, USA, Russia, Japan, Italy (to be handed to 7th)

Since Habbaku may end up performing GM tasks, I think he should not get Great Britain, who are supposed to meddle basically everywhere, and start the game by already winning it. So he will be excluded from the first roll which is:

Request:  5-sided die x 1

Oh lol fuck no, I play the UK!

Second to go is France, Habbaku is in play of course:

Die roller results:

Request:  5-sided die x 1

Delirium is France!

Here comes Germany:

Die roller results:

Request:  4-sided die x 1

Ulmont is Germany!

Viking, Grumbler, and Habbaku are in race for USA:

Die roller results:

Request:  3-sided die x 1

Viking is USA!

So that leaves Grumbler and Habbaku for the roll on Russia...

Die roller results:

Request:  2-sided die x 1

Habbaku is Russia, which makes Grumbler Japan!

Tamas

Summary:

UK: Tamas
France: Delirium
Germany: Ulmont
USA: Viking
Russia: Habbaku
Japan: Grumbler
Italy: ?

Syt

Would like to play some shit like that, but not only would I introduce a major n00b factor; all your online game threads have massively discouraged me from trying anything like that. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2009, 06:59:30 AM
Would like to play some shit like that, but not only would I introduce a major n00b factor; all your online game threads have massively discouraged me from trying anything like that. :P

In what way? :P The only one which crashed to the ground had Viking, Marty, Jaron and FB in it.

If Berkut refuses the Italy spot currently on reserve for him, you are welcome to join. :)

Tamas

Quote from: Delirium on June 12, 2009, 04:20:03 AM
Oh my god, it's hideous.

The CB? Yes, but after you read the rules you realize its perfectly functional.

Delirium

Well, if you want to have any chance of a strategical view of the map you need to use half scale, but then a lot of features are blurred or disappear altogether. :bleeding:

Coupled with what people are saying on the CSW forum (among them that France and Germany can't win and that the physical gameboard and pieces are subordinate to the real game which is negotiation) I'm very sceptical of this. At this point I'd say it's Habbaku's vouching for it that keeps me interested.

Edit: I see now that he never played.  :pinchL

Tamas

:lol: come on dude. It looks to be very much like HiS but with less rigid gameplay mechanics and more left to player interaction. I am not sure yet if it is good or bad, but coupled with the theme, which is the coolest possible, like, evah, it worth a try.

Delirium

I can see *a lot* of problems related to a negotiation-based game, heavy on player interaction, when it's an interweb cast of 7 Languish players over different time-zones; and the game is pronounced broken and/or dead on CSW.

If you find a different player, take him instead, I'll need to ponder this for a while.