News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[board] Pax Brittanica

Started by Tamas, June 11, 2009, 04:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2009, 01:09:42 PM
And what about grumbler he ran the Twilight Struggle PBEM games he should have this game nailed.
I didn't care much for this game when it came out, but mine was certainly not an opinion that was widely shared (it won the CR award at Origins that year).

And it was Thunder at Twilight:P

But, yeah, I am interested in even a reasonably bad game of the era, so count me in.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Delirium

I make it grumbler: IV and me: V.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

oh lol yes thunder at twilight  :Embarrass:

Alatriste

If you are going to play Pax Britannica remember this, because it is vital: if the game ends in the first turn, or the second, or probably the third too, Queen Vicky wins, and wins big, because she starts with a massive VP advantage; even if Britain is guilty of starting the Great War and has to pay the penalty for it, Vicky will still win... the name of the early game is 'don't give the Brits the slightest excuse, they will use it'.

Personally I like the game, own a copy, and have played it f2f many times, but even so I have to admit some things just don't make any sense...

Hansmeister

I've never played it (who has?), but for some reasons I have two copies of the board game.

Viking

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 11, 2009, 04:34:16 PM
I've never played it (who has?), but for some reasons I have two copies of the board game.

You wanna share?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
I am happy you volunteer for the task!  ^_^

Those signed up thus far are the sorts I enjoy playing with.  I've never played before, but my hard copy should make it significantly easier to keep up with the paperwork, all the same.

does that maek me : vI ?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Hansmeister

Quote from: Viking on June 11, 2009, 05:08:37 PM

You wanna share?

Originally I was thinking about throwing away my extra copy, but then I remembered almost getting stoned to death on languish when I said I had thrown away my copy of Fifth Frontier War.

Habbaku

You should never throw away any game, ever, because you may be able to get cash for it.

Except Kriegspiel.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The CB is ugly, but looks functional.  And upside-down.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 11, 2009, 07:16:40 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 11, 2009, 05:08:37 PM

You wanna share?

Originally I was thinking about throwing away my extra copy, but then I remembered almost getting stoned to death on languish when I said I had thrown away my copy of Fifth Frontier War.

You WHAT!!?!?!?!?!

:ultra:

Okay, so I'm more of a Traveller nerd than a grognard, but still! :angry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

I threw away twilight struggle, paths of glory, War of the Ring, and Arkham Horror last week. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: Jaron on June 11, 2009, 11:22:47 PM
I threw away twilight struggle, paths of glory, War of the Ring, and Arkham Horror last week. :P

You could have at least offered to give them away for shipping, you dick.*

*Not that I believe you anyway, but still.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on June 11, 2009, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
I am happy you volunteer for the task!  ^_^

Those signed up thus far are the sorts I enjoy playing with.  I've never played before, but my hard copy should make it significantly easier to keep up with the paperwork, all the same.

does that maek me : vI ?

BGG has, among other tools, an excel spreadsheet which auto-calculates income and VP, you just need to set the owner and status of an area. So it should be fairly easy. I am reading the rules. It sucks that A-H is controlled by the German player, while USA is a separate player. But oh well. Since people are more motivated when they have their roles known, I say we should have random country assingment.
Players so far are:
me, Viking, Ulmont, Grumbler. Delirium, Habbaku

We need one more. For the interested, the playable countries are UK, France, Germany (plus A-H), Italy, Russia, Japan, USA

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on June 11, 2009, 11:22:47 PM

idiot