News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[board] Pax Brittanica

Started by Tamas, June 11, 2009, 04:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: Delirium on June 12, 2009, 02:22:50 AM
I count three guys who own the game but don't want to play it, that's slightly ominous.

Pax Britannica is a very good game (with some nasty loopholes that I bet many players never noticed).  But it's an awful simulation... Just one example: first turn usually involves Great Britain bullying everyone to get the Belgian Congo, Tanganika (Belgian Congo and Tanganika are extremely profitable and worth many VP to build railroads across Africa), Egypt, and some other valuable real estate across the globe, and there is nothing anyone can do about it, because Britain will obliterate any alliance of two countries and an axis of three would trigger the Great War and a complete British victory.   

And did I mention France and Germany usually become best buddies, Alsace-Lorraine be damned?

Tamas

Delirium

I'm definitely up for a multi-player game with you guys, I just have a very bad feeling about this game.

If you're all dead set on trying it I guess I'm on though.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2009, 10:52:06 AM
Is this still on?

Yes. I say we keep Italy as an NPC country and start.

Tamas

I am making a scenario for the less ugly CB board so I can start up the game and send it out.

ehrie

Tamas

Quote from: ehrie on June 13, 2009, 01:18:23 PM
Can I be: Ottoman Empire?

No, they are NPC. You can be: Italy. Want to?

ehrie

I think I'll be a spectator for this one. If you really can't get an Italy and need one to round ut the game count me in.

garbon

Quote from: ehrie on June 13, 2009, 01:35:09 PM
I think I'll be a spectator for this one. If you really can't get an Italy and need one to round ut the game count me in.

He can't. Most people have been lukewarm about the game thus far.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ehrie

I'm pretty lukewarm myself about it looking at the comments on the net. It really does look like the Engliah player does whatever the hell they want and everybody just has to sit there and take it.

Tamas

Quote from: ehrie on June 13, 2009, 01:35:09 PM

Your enthusiasm matches the grand average of the players, :D
I'll be sending out the files in about 30 minutes or so but I dont expect a fast start, so feel free to take a look at the rules (link is about 3 pages back) and decide if you want Italy.

Tamas

Quote from: ehrie on June 13, 2009, 01:48:02 PM
I'm pretty lukewarm myself about it looking at the comments on the net. It really does look like the Engliah player does whatever the hell they want and everybody just has to sit there and take it.

From the few session reports I read on BGG, it seems UK can be kept in check most of the time

Tamas

I have sent out a big-ass e-mail to everyone except grumbler who will have to PM me his address. As I said its big so if anyone fails to receive it, let me know.

Alatriste

Quote from: ehrie on June 13, 2009, 01:48:02 PM

Yes... and no.

First, time changes everything; in the early game the British Empire(TM) is undefeatable, but the late game is very different (and Russia can laugh at the British fleet during all the game. early, middle, and late); if the other great powers have done their work, by the late turns they will have fleets and alliances enough to defy Britain (that's part of the whole Franco-German entente problem - both countries have a very powerful incentive to be friends in this game, namely, Great Britain)

Second, Victory points in this game are divided by a national fixed amount, and the British is the highest. The Old Contemptibles can paint red half of the world map, have the biggest, meanest fleet, etc, etc, and still lose while tiny Italy with its far lower handicap can win the game with a handful of poor colonies and some money (you can buy VP with money in this game).