The biggest minority by nationality in your town

Started by Archy, July 31, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 31, 2014, 06:26:02 PM
Anyway, pretty sure out largest minority is left-handers.

In Baltimore, it's probably Caucasians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

My home town's biggest minority is the Portuguese
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I don't know.  If I had to guess, Mexicans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

The plurality of people in Louisville are German-Americans.
Largest minority group would be African-Americans.

In terms of immigrants, not 100% sure but I would bet money on it being Mexicans.  We also have sizable Vietnamese and Cuban immigrant communities.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Scipio

Ko-reans.

Although Ukrainian orphans are running a close second.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

The top 5 in Vienna (not counting 2nd generation):

Serbs (5.4%)
Turks (4.3%)
Germans (2.9%)
Poles (2.6%)
Bosnians (2.2%)

Total 1st generation immigrants: 34.6%
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Iormlund

Romanians by far. Though I don't know if figures include all foreign born or just foreigners.

celedhring

In Barcelona is Italians by far. However a very large part of those Italians are actually Argentinians with an Italian passport.

Pakistanese are second, Chinese third.

Duque de Bragança

Can't get stats for central Paris i.e intra muros- (2.5 million people) I guess it's Portuguese, but not by much. In the theoretical Groß/Metro Paris area (10-12 million people), it is Algerians (280,000) , then Portuguese (240,000), then Moroccans (220,000) followed by Tunisians (105,000). Figures for people born outside of France though.

PS: found some old stats, for 1999

Portuguese 38 k
Algerians 32 k
Moroccans 22 k
Tunisians 18 k
Spaniards 15 k
Italians 10 k

I would say that 1999 the numbers of "old" EU members decreased while North Africans and Turks increased.

Brazen

There's a massive established Turkish population in Enfield, but for first-generation immigrants it's Poles by a mile. Census summary follows:

QuoteData taken from the 2012 GLA estimates tell us that, whilst two fifths (40.05%) of residents regard themselves as 'White British' or 'White Irish', there are also a large number of individuals declaring themselves as:

Black African - 9.83%
    Turkish - 6.68%
    Black Caribbean 5.81%
    White Other - 5.03%
    Greek Cypriot - 4.88%
    Black Other - 4.26%
    Indian - 3.16%
    Turkish Cypriot - 1.91%
    Bangladeshi - 1.79%
    Kurdish - 1.31%
    Greek - 0.91%
    Pakistani - 0.84%

QuoteThe most commonly spoken language in Enfield after English was Turkish. A total of 18.378 people stated that this was their main language. This is equivalent to approximately 6.2% of people aged 3 and above. The next most commonly spoken main languages were Polish, with 5,837 speakers (2.0%), Greek with 4,627 (1.6%), Somali with 3,127 (1.1%) and Bengali with 2,594 (0.9%).

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2014, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 31, 2014, 05:02:18 PM
Indians, 10.3% apparently.

Isn't it nice to know how many Indians actually wanted to remain as subjects of the British?

They are a pretty good bunch in Preston, mainly from Gujerat. Place of origin is pretty important for immigrants from the sub-continent, probably the most important determinant of how well they do when they get here.