The biggest minority by nationality in your town

Started by Archy, July 31, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Obviously Mexicans, then I guess the Chinese students at the U.  Funkiest minority is a gaggle of South Sudanese.

I met a Moroccan dude at the boozer.  Especially after he's had a few beverages his accent sounds exactly like a Quebecois.

Tonitrus

Where I grew up, it was definitely white...being a typical white, upper-class suburbia (just outside Seattle)and retirees. but now?  Here is the recent demographic data from my old elementary school....

2009   2010   2011   2012   2013
Enrollment   581   597   601   582    564
African American   1%   2%   1%   1%    1%
Asian   50%   51%   58%   60%    59%
Hispanic   1%   1%   1%   1%    2%
White   35%   37%   31%   30%    29%
Multi-Ethnic   12%   12%    9%   8%    9%

And there was a news story not long ago about Chinese snapping up the high-price homes in my parent's neighborhood.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 01, 2014, 10:31:07 AM
I believe that the Bangladeshis in London are starting to do quite well nowadays, perhaps mainly due to a huge improvement in the quality of state education there. Meanwhile the situation of people of Pakistani origin in dead Lancashire mill towns is pitiful.
Yep. The London state education thing is really interesting and a little weird.

But I think Pakistani and Bengali-origin kids have made the biggest jump. Now bottom of the class are white working class boys (who've been overtaken by Black Caribbean boys), but even then they do far better in London schools than the rest of the country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2014, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 01, 2014, 10:31:07 AM
I believe that the Bangladeshis in London are starting to do quite well nowadays, perhaps mainly due to a huge improvement in the quality of state education there. Meanwhile the situation of people of Pakistani origin in dead Lancashire mill towns is pitiful.
Yep. The London state education thing is really interesting and a little weird.

But I think Pakistani and Bengali-origin kids have made the biggest jump. Now bottom of the class are white working class boys (who've been overtaken by Black Caribbean boys), but even then they do far better in London schools than the rest of the country.

I cannot claim to understand why the state education system in London has improved so much, but the fact that it has is tremendously cheering. If we can do it there then we can do it anywhere.