The biggest minority by nationality in your town

Started by Archy, July 31, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 01, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Place of origin is pretty important for immigrants from the sub-continent, probably the most important determinant of how well they do when they get here.

From what I can tell, that doesn't seem to matter much for those that come here.  They pretty much all do well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

They are a pretty good bunch in Preston, mainly from Gujerat. Place of origin is pretty important for immigrants from the sub-continent, probably the most important determinant of how well they do when they get here.

Really?  Explain.

When I was at the park last weekend celebrating Henry's second birthday there was a really serious Cricket match going on between Indian immigrants one field over.  They had a score board and stands with fans and uniforms and the whole deal.  They were playing when we got there and were still going strong four hours later when we left.  No word if they had reached the tea interval.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2014, 09:21:26 AM
They are a pretty good bunch in Preston, mainly from Gujerat. Place of origin is pretty important for immigrants from the sub-continent, probably the most important determinant of how well they do when they get here.

Really?  Explain.

When I was at the park last weekend celebrating Henry's second birthday there was a really serious Cricket match going on between Indian immigrants one field over.  They had a score board and stands with fans and uniforms and the whole deal.  They were playing when we got there and were still going strong four hours later when we left.  No word if they had reached the tea interval.

"Cricket is an Indian Game invented by the English."

They take it very seriously and Cricket is by far the largest sport in that country. They play it with all the colour, noise, confusion and passion their country has.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2014, 09:21:26 AM

Really?  Explain.

Excellent news about the cricket  :cool:

Some groups of people from South Asia were imported into Britain as cheap labour for declining industries. These were often badly-educated people from backward places like Mirpur and Sylhet. The declining industries closed but the immigrants remained, lots of these people still send back for spouses from home and integration is minimal. On the other hand you have a lot of medical professionals, small businessmen and the like coming in........probably more akin to the Indians immigrating to the UK that derspiess mentions. Another related group are the East African Asians who have done brilliantly here despite arriving with nothing.

I believe that the Bangladeshis in London are starting to do quite well nowadays, perhaps mainly due to a huge improvement in the quality of state education there. Meanwhile the situation of people of Pakistani origin in dead Lancashire mill towns is pitiful.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 01, 2014, 10:31:07 AM
Excellent news about the cricket  :cool:

Yeah talk about things I never thought I would see in Texas :lol:

QuoteSome groups of people from South Asia were imported into Britain as cheap labour for declining industries. These were often badly-educated people from backward places like Mirpur and Sylhet. The declining industries closed but the immigrants remained, lots of these people still send back for spouses from home and integration is minimal. On the other hand you have a lot of medical professionals, small businessmen and the like coming in........probably more akin to the Indians immigrating to the UK that derspiess mentions. Another related group are the East African Asians who have done brilliantly here despite arriving with nothing.

I believe that the Bangladeshis in London are starting to do quite well nowadays, perhaps mainly due to a huge improvement in the quality of state education there. Meanwhile the situation of people of Pakistani origin in dead Lancashire mill towns is pitiful.

Yeah we never import poor Indians for labor so we do not have this problem (our labor sneaks in and we pretend we do not want them).  I was just interested how you remarked there are regional differences.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Savonarola

I believe Puerto Ricans are the largest immigrant group in this part of Florida; but people come here from all over Latin America.  There's also a sizable community of Arabs; mostly from Saudi Arabia.

In Detroit the largest group is Arabs, mostly from Iraq.  Iraqis are so prevalent that any Christian from the Middle East is called a "Chaldean" even though many living there are, in fact, Maronites. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

So that is where all the Christians in Iraq went?  Detroit?  They were just trying to find a place as war torn and desolate as their homeland I guess.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2014, 11:28:20 AM
So that is where all the Christians in Iraq went?  Detroit?  They were just trying to find a place as war torn and desolate as their homeland I guess.

That joke works better with the Lebanese; many who came to Detroit in the 1970s as refugees from the civil war.

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2014, 11:26:33 AM
I believe Puerto Ricans are the largest immigrant group in this part of Florida; but people come here from all over Latin America.  There's also a sizable community of Arabs; mostly from Saudi Arabia.

In Detroit the largest group is Arabs, mostly from Iraq.  Iraqis are so prevalent that any Christian from the Middle East is called a "Chaldean" even though many living there are, in fact, Maronites.

Though that figure did decline a while back by around 17.

But seriously, what is it with Saudis living abroad, do we mainly see just the very wealthy and/or the corrupt ones?

Do ordinary, common or garden Saudis have the opportunity and finances to emigrate abroad?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

At the local amusement park, Arabs & Indians seem to be the most conspicuous foreign group.  You see Mexicans here & there, but you really notice the Indian women swimming in full clothing at the water park area. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah when we went to Sea World a few weeks back it was totally overrun by Indians.  I mean to an extent that is bizarre for Texas where they are like 3% of the population.  Who knew Indians loved sea animals so much?

Norgy

Poles, Lithuanians, Spaniards and Kurds, really. Some Somalis, but I believe the biggest non-European lot are Karen from Burma. And they're all wankers.
Ultra-Christian, skateboarding fucktards.

Grallon

The Arab filth in Montreal I'm afraid.  We were looking for french speaking immigrants - but their gods dammned death cult & dark age culture were overlooked.  :glare:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Norgy on August 01, 2014, 06:49:35 PM
Poles, Lithuanians, Spaniards and Kurds, really. Some Somalis, but I believe the biggest non-European lot are Karen from Burma. And they're all wankers.
Ultra-Christian, skateboarding fucktards.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?