The biggest minority by nationality in your town

Started by Archy, July 31, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2014, 04:46:57 PM
Londoners (white).  <_<

So it's the fancy city folk that look bewildered when you're reading maps?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 31, 2014, 04:41:40 PM
According to the latest census 5% of Cincinnati is foreign-born but that seems high.  I know people from all over Latin America are here, but we don't have many migrants from Mexico or Central America.  If I had to guess, I'd say Indian.

Apparently 20% of people living in Canada are foreign born.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2014, 04:48:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2014, 04:46:57 PM
Londoners (white).  <_<

So it's the fancy city folk that look bewildered when you're reading maps?

:lol:

No, I think it's most people, I guess there's now an in-build assumption that you should adopt new technology without question.

Were as I'm not actually lost or wanting to find where I'm going, if I'm looking at a map, it's generally looking at the topography and obscure archaeological features in the landscape.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PRC

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 31, 2014, 05:02:18 PM
Indians, 10.3% apparently.

Isn't it nice to know how many Indians actually wanted to remain as subjects of the British?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on July 31, 2014, 05:06:02 PM
Filipinos.

PRetty sure it's Chinese in Calgary (though plenty of Filipinos to be sure).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martim Silva

In the late 90s, about 400,000 Ukranians moved to my country; roughly 300,000 of them settled in my city.

As before it had 600,000 inhabitants, very suddenly 1/3 of the population was Ukranian. The official announcements for stuff from the City Hall and local districts started to have to be affixed on the walls in both Portuguese and Ukranian.

We got along quite well, though the Ukranians were plaged by their mafia (if you saw a fancy car with several dudes sleeing inside, those would be ukranian mobsters, waiting to get their 'cut' from the ukranian workers' paychecks at the end of the day).

Eventually most moved on, leaving just 60,000 behind (about 40,000 of which in my city).

Secondary would be Cape Verdians and Angolans.

Integration is not an issue, though the Angolans bring their internal problems with them; they are evenly split among the support of their dictator-president Eduardo dos Santos, and sometimes it happens that some dozens of them die in, shall we say, freak accidents that are man-made (once I had to go to work over rows of dead bodies, as my company at the time was close to an Angolan disco that had been the unfortunate target of the President's henchmen the night before).

In my neighbourhood, which is among the best in town, we have an almost equal ratio of Portuguese/Cantonese/Goans living here, since at least the 70s. All went well, until in the 90s some Cape Verdian families moved in. We suddenly had a spike in violent crime, which forced the three original groups to form vigilante task forces to patrol the area until we pushed the Africans out in less than a year.

All has since gone well here (only an Angolan family moved in [to my building, no less], but they're upper-class and well-behaved, even if they have a TON of kids. And decided that they wanted the bathroom to be in the middle of the bedroom [!].

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Anyway, pretty sure out largest minority is left-handers.