What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 30, 2014, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Neolithic
2 (5%)
Bronze Age
1 (2.5%)
Classical Antiquity
8 (20%)
Dark Ages
3 (7.5%)
Medieval
2 (5%)
Pike & Shot
1 (2.5%)
Line Infantry
8 (20%)
Industrial
9 (22.5%)
Modern
4 (10%)
Your Eurocentric List Does Not Accurately Reflect My Interests
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Razgovory

Seems like you could add some categories together like industrial and modern and dark ages and medieval.  Not only that but "industrial" is confusing as it doesn't really correspond with the industrial revolution.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2014, 12:40:40 AM
Seems like you could add some categories together like industrial and modern and dark ages and medieval.  Not only that but "industrial" is confusing as it doesn't really correspond with the industrial revolution.

There are vast differences between the organization, size and equipment of medieval armies compared to those of the Dark Ages.

War in 2014 is quite different from war in 1944 on quite a few levels. I don't think it's going too far to say there has been a transition to a different era.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Ancient
Medieval
Gunpowder
Industrial
Modern

Not including all the sub categories for each.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on July 04, 2014, 01:15:03 AM
Ancient
Medieval
Gunpowder
Industrial
Modern

Too general with only five choices. You miss out on people's true feelings like their love of line infantry and disdain for pike & shot.

What's the dividing line between Industrial and Modern for you?

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Ancient
Medieval
Gunpowder
Industrial
Modern

Too general with only five choices. You miss out on people's true feelings like their love of line infantry and disdain for pike & shot.

Pike & Shot- Infantry formation  :rolleyes:
Line Infantry- Type of Infantry  :rolleyes:

Including them is retarded with your other choices. They are in the Gunpowder Period.

What's the dividing line between Industrial and Modern for you?

For me 1929 in theory (Triandafillov & Tukhachevsky) and 1939 in execution.

The Evolution of Operational Art
http://usacac.army.mil/Cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/OperationalArt.pdf

One of my favorite quote from this book.
QuoteA modern operation is an operation in depth. It must be planned for
the entire depth, and it must be prepared to overcome the entire depth.
Moreover, it must be anticipated that the intensity of resistance within this
depth tends to increase and grow denser from front to rear

The Nature of the Operations of Modern Armies
http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Operations-Modern-Armies-Russian/dp/0714641189/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404459322&sr=1-1

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I'd put modern starting in WWI.  This is when you see the end of linear tactics to where all infantry is essentially a skirmisher.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2014, 06:30:15 PM
WWII East Front is boring.

You are not invited to the Totenkopf summer potluck and organiztion day. You will miss all the fantastic games we have plan.  :mad:

Ed Anger

I'm going to the HJ fall festival where Canadians will be shoved into a mass grave.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive