What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 30, 2014, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Neolithic
2 (5%)
Bronze Age
1 (2.5%)
Classical Antiquity
8 (20%)
Dark Ages
3 (7.5%)
Medieval
2 (5%)
Pike & Shot
1 (2.5%)
Line Infantry
8 (20%)
Industrial
9 (22.5%)
Modern
4 (10%)
Your Eurocentric List Does Not Accurately Reflect My Interests
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on July 01, 2014, 08:00:19 AM
Pike and shot for leisure, modern for business.

Hey baby. Wanna see my Wallenstein?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

The older the better - but I also enjoy anything from 1905 onwards.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Iormlund on July 01, 2014, 08:09:06 AM
The older the better - but I also enjoy anything from 1905 onwards.

Wanna see my Kongo?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Brazen

celedhring

I'm weird since my two favorite periods are in one hand the Ancient World (those Roman upstarts...) and the industrial era in the other.

CountDeMoney

I really like the Age of Reason, there's a certain romanticism with that, but I like Modern Hypothetical--the shit that never went down...Berlin '63, SACEUR Haig* repelling the 3rd Shock in the Fulda Gap with TOW-mounted M113s and M60As in '79, Lehman's 600-ship Navy asspounding Murmansk airfields in '86, relieving the blockade of Taiwan in '25, stuff like that.

*First assclown that makes a poor reference to Ypres, Watergate or the grammatically and legiitimately correct statements of 1981 gets to root for Bannedistan in the World Cup today.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2014, 06:01:19 AM
How did you two even end up on Paradox, let alone here?  :rolleyes:

My interest in history has never been on the military side.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2014, 08:48:15 AM
I'm weird since my two favorite periods are in one hand the Ancient World (those Roman upstarts...) and the industrial era in the other.

Yeah, I'm kind of the same. I picked industrial because that's what I've been most interested in and have read the most on. I also like ancient classical periods, Romans, Greeks, etc. as I find the ways of warfare then to often be very innovative in the tactics used. Such as Caesar besieging a city in Gaul with fortifications facing towards the city, and another line facing outwards towards the enemy relief forces. 

viper37

Line infantry for me.  End of pike era to Napelonic era.  Ranged battles, blocks of infantry moving with canon fire above their heads, cavalry charge on the flanks... oh that might be my last Empire playthrough :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

It's easier to name the shitty ones than a favorite one.

Razgovory

There is something to be said for the days when generals would actually lead their men on the field, and when neighbors would stand shoulder to shoulder giving and receiving fusillades.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

There is no option for future warfare in that poll.

You know, post-singularity conflicts and what not.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"