What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 30, 2014, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Neolithic
2 (5%)
Bronze Age
1 (2.5%)
Classical Antiquity
8 (20%)
Dark Ages
3 (7.5%)
Medieval
2 (5%)
Pike & Shot
1 (2.5%)
Line Infantry
8 (20%)
Industrial
9 (22.5%)
Modern
4 (10%)
Your Eurocentric List Does Not Accurately Reflect My Interests
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2014, 12:37:32 PM
There is no option for future warfare in that poll.

You know, post-singularity conflicts and what not.

Look at the picture Yi uses as an avatar.  That's your post-singularity conflicts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

A serious question:
Is there a difference between Raz and Ide?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
A serious question:

Yes.  A hundred pounds and a criminal record.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2014, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
A serious question:

Yes.  A hundred pounds and a criminal record.

Would you guys be willing to swap one for the other ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

No.  Wouldn't do any good.  I'd just gain the weight back he'd probably break some more laws.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2014, 01:09:30 PM
No.  Wouldn't do any good.  I'd just gain the weight back he'd probably break some more laws.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Ouch, Raz.  Tuck those claws in, you're ruining the drapes.

The Minsky Moment

What is actually known about Neolithic and bronze age warfare probably couldn't fill up more than about 2-3 postcards.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Oddly we know a lot about Neolithic warfare.  It's just that the people with neolithic organization and equipment were fighting people with muskets.  Bronze age warfare is pretty sketchy; the victor of one the most famous battles is unknown.

The Minsky Moment

OK Raz, very clever.  I can see where all that IQ comes from.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Well, my least favorite is modern ground war, at least as fought by war-losing crybabies with GEDs, PTSD, and substance abuse problems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2014, 09:01:56 PM
The era that had the fanciest hats.
Would that be Pike & Shot or Line Infantry?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Classical.  Huge, dramatic numbers, major innovations in tactics and equipment every few decades, massive, dramatic personalities and hugely different societies slugging it out. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."