What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 30, 2014, 11:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the era of warfare you're most interested in?

Neolithic
2 (5%)
Bronze Age
1 (2.5%)
Classical Antiquity
8 (20%)
Dark Ages
3 (7.5%)
Medieval
2 (5%)
Pike & Shot
1 (2.5%)
Line Infantry
8 (20%)
Industrial
9 (22.5%)
Modern
4 (10%)
Your Eurocentric List Does Not Accurately Reflect My Interests
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 01, 2014, 10:46:01 PM
Classical.  Huge, dramatic numbers, major innovations in tactics and equipment every few decades, massive, dramatic personalities and hugely different societies slugging it out.
Doesn't that perfectly describe the Industrial era as well?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Caesar and Alexander were fighting in terra incognita. German literature on the USSR and Russia was maniacally thorough.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 02, 2014, 02:14:17 AM
Caesar and Alexander were fighting in terra incognita. German literature on the USSR and Russia was maniacally thorough.
No it wasn't. They constantly underestimated how many men the Soviets could mobilize against them. They ran into entire army groups they never knew existed!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2014, 02:20:30 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on July 02, 2014, 02:14:17 AM
No it wasn't. They constantly underestimated how many men the Soviets could mobilize against them. They ran into entire army groups they never knew existed!

And Caesar and Alexander were actually noted for their intellectual curiosity about their intended targets both before and during the campaign. You can't really call alexander fighting in TI when he kept Xenophon "at his bedside".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Industrial or Modern-- whichever includes WWII.  Anything earlier than "line infantry" holds little interest for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
Industrial or Modern-- whichever includes WWII.  Anything earlier than "line infantry" holds little interest for me.
WWI and WWII would be the epitome of the Industrial period.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2014, 09:22:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
WWI and WWII would be the epitome of the Industrial period.

Sure.  But I'd think there is some overlap there with the Modern period.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I would have expected Medieval and Pike & Shot to have more support than that on this board. :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
I would have expected Medieval and Pike & Shot to have more support than that on this board. :hmm:

That's 'cause you're stupid.

Neil

Classical.  Huge, dramatic numbers, major innovations in tactics and equipment every few decades, massive, dramatic personalities and hugely different societies slugging it out.
Weren't the size of classical armies somewhat overblown?  Especially the further back you go?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on July 02, 2014, 09:48:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2014, 07:23:46 PM

That's 'cause you're stupid.
That was rather uncalled for.  :huh:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2014, 10:47:57 PM
Weren't the size of classical armies somewhat overblown?  Especially the further back you go?

Xerxes totally had a million men.  And of so many obscure ethnicities!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2014, 09:34:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2014, 09:01:56 PM
The era that had the fanciest hats.
Would that be Pike & Shot or Line Infantry?

They both had fabulous hats :hmm:

But line infantry era had the best hats.  In fact you want to see the uniform of each unit because you just know its hats will be fantastic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."