News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Granny Tazed

Started by HVC, June 10, 2009, 11:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2009, 03:58:16 PM
Granny was a bitch, she was in the wrong, deserved the ticket, deserved the arrest, but still couldn't he have just cuffed her?

More or less what I was thinking. I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned, but tazing an old woman, however much smack she talked, doesn't sit right.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Granny was a bitch, she was in the wrong, deserved the ticket, deserved the arrest, but still couldn't he have just cuffed her?
It doesn't look like Granny would go down easy. Would you rather he tased her, or dragged her to the ground and but his knee into her back while he got the cuffs out?

sometimes there's no winning for a cop, unfortunatly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Lndhand

The video is priceless.  I was impressed he waited as long as he did before tasing her.  I think police use of force should be heavily scrutinized, but in this case the guy handled the situation about as good as he could have without risking her safety and his own.  While cuffing her may have been an option, keep in mind that scuffling around near a crowded highway can get someone killed pretty quickly.     
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on June 10, 2009, 04:14:34 PM
and but his knee into her back while he got the cuffs out?

I haven't seen the video (dialup).  Is she a real warhorse?

garbon

Quote from: Lndhand on June 10, 2009, 04:14:42 PM
While cuffing her may have been an option, keep in mind that scuffling around near a crowded highway can get someone killed pretty quickly.     

And, there was scuffling in the various times that she tried to run back to her car. I couldn't make it out in the video but at one point he's grabbing her and then she starts to dart back and something drops out of his hands.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lndhand

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2009, 04:18:10 PM
and but his knee into her back while he got the cuffs out?

She was, shall we say, difficult.   :D
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2009, 04:18:10 PM

Ditto me.

From the description given, though, the cop was 100% in the right. There's nothing saying civil disobedience can only be committed by 20-somethings in leather jackets.

And seriously, who's stupid enough to lie about a traffic stop anymore? They've ALL got dashcams.
Experience bij!

Martinus

This is fucked up. Tazing should be used against dangerous perps who cannot be subdued by normal means, not anyone who is uncooperative.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

It doesn't look like Granny would go down easy. Would you rather he tased her, or dragged her to the ground and but his knee into her back while he got the cuffs out?

She was not dangerous, nor there was a suspicion she was guilty of any crime, other than disobeying what the policeman told her. I suppose her identity could have been easily identified from any ID, or barring that, her car's license plates. We hire humans (who, supposedly have brains), rather than dogs or mindless robots as cops, so they should be able to assess that.

In this case, she should have been charged with whatever the felony/misdemeanor that is, but there was no need to stop her physically - even if she went home freely, they would have easily found her.

Jaron

Jaron

I bet Marcin wouldn't be crying if she'd have called the officer a fag or something. :P

He'd be like YES, taze the bitch! more voltage!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:34:11 PM
She was not dangerous, nor there was a suspicion she was guilty of any crime, other than disobeying what the policeman told her. I suppose her identity could have been easily identified from any ID, or barring that, her car's license plates. We hire humans (who, supposedly have brains), rather than dogs or mindless robots as cops, so they should be able to assess that.

In this case, she should have been charged with whatever the felony/misdemeanor that is, but there was no need to stop her physically - even if she went home freely, they would have easily found her.

Psst, Marti... in the US, disobeying an officer is an arrestable offense.
Experience bij!

grumbler

The cop did not know that she was not dangerous (she certainly was behaving as though she may have been drunk) and she had just been caught committing a crime (contrary to your assertion that there was no "suspicion she was guilty of any crime"), so the factors you used to reach a judgement are both clearly bogus on the face of them.  Good thinkin' there, Tex.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2009, 05:40:01 PM

The cop did not know that she was not dangerous (she certainly was behaving as though she may have been drunk) and she had just been caught committing a crime (contrary to your assertion that there was no "suspicion she was guilty of any crime"), so the factors you used to reach a judgement are both clearly bogus on the face of them.  Good thinkin' there, Tex.
What crime was she caught committing?